Graybeard Outdoors banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I made a suede leather storage unit & I put the barrels in a fairly thick plastic bag & put them in my leather unit. Good idea, bad idea, do you have a better idea? Thanks, Bernie

·
Registered
133 Posts
Where do you live? Humid, dry, hot, cold? What is a “leather storage unit”? A bag, a safe, a room? Unless the environment is very wet, I don’t like the idea of a sealed plastic bag.

I have kept them in drawers on towels, in plastic storage boxes on towels, in gun cases. I do keep them lightly oiled in and out.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I live in SE New Mexico, 11" average annual rainfall. It's in a suede leather pouch in open ended fairly heavy plastic fitted bags. Lightly oiled & cleaned.

·
Registered
133 Posts
I’ve lived in Alaska, the Gulf Coast and Arizona. Never any rust. You should be fine.

·
Registered
170 Posts

·
Registered
683 Posts
I have never been a big fan of storing any gun in plastic or a case of any kind. Mainly because any kind of moisture in there will cause rust over time. that being said I also was looking for a way to store my Contender barrels. So several years ago I decide to experiment on a rack for the gun safe. It is nothing special but it allows the barrels to stay in the open. I have never had a problem with rust on any of my barrels being stored like this.

Jim

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks, I took your advise, the one I made today is not as pretty as yours but it will do the job. Thanks for sharing yours, much appreciated, Bernie

·
Registered
683 Posts
It doesn’t have to be pretty, just as long as it works. I’m glad it worked out for you.

Jim

·
Registered
300 Posts
I have never been a big fan of storing any gun in plastic or a case of any kind. Mainly because any kind of moisture in there will cause rust over time. that being said I also was looking for a way to store my Contender barrels. So several years ago I decide to experiment on a rack for the gun safe. It is nothing special but it allows the barrels to stay in the open. I have never had a problem with rust on any of my barrels being stored like this.

Jim
I made myself a rack very similar to what you have here. Made two of them for pistol barrels, and then I made a rack sets on the barrel supports that were in the safe to lean rifles against. I made this so that it would allow the barrel lug to go in between and a grove to let the barbel pin in the locking bolts to set down in. That safe has two sides to it so rifles set on one side and barrels both rifle and pistol. Getting crowded in there, don't know if the bookkeeper will let me get another safe.

·
Registered
155 Posts
i made a rack that attaches to the wall and holds the barrels vertically. The dowel goes through the hinge pin hole. You can see two barrels attached, and the next picture shows the empty rack. It has worked well so far.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts