Graybeard Outdoors banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I have a G1 serial number 146xxx that takes two hands to open.
Is there anything to do to make it easier. maybe polish, grease or spring.
Any help would be appreciated. different barrels same thing.
Thanks
Jack

·
2,541 Posts
I am certainly not a Contender expert, but I do have an early frame (pre-"easy open") I use with 30-30, .223, and .410/.45c barrels. I have found that none are easy to open compared with later easy open versions. Ammo can also make a difference. My 30-30 barrel is very difficult to open when using Winchester brass, not so bad with Remington. The .223 barrel is difficult using Lake City Military brass, but much easier with Winchester and Remington brass. Might want to check if your firing pin is sticking in fired primers. That will make it harder to open, and you will see a "swipe" mark on the fired primer. I get that sometimes when using Federal primers, but not with CCI. Other than the normal stiff opening, I have had no issues with the .410 barrel, or a 45/70 barrel I used to have.

Added - Now that I think about it, I believe I have read that it is possible to convert early frames to the easy open style, but I have not pursued it, as while stiff to operate, I guess I am just used to mine.

Larry

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am certainly not a Contender expert, but I do have an early frame (pre-"easy open") I use with 30-30, .223, and .410/.45c barrels. I have found that none are easy to open compared with later easy open versions. Ammo can also make a difference. My 30-30 barrel is very difficult to open when using Winchester brass, not so bad with Remington. The .223 barrel is difficult using Lake City Military brass, but much easier with Winchester and Remington brass. Might want to check if your firing pin is sticking in fired primers. That will make it harder to open, and you will see a "swipe" mark on the fired primer. I get that sometimes when using Federal primers, but not with CCI. Other than the normal stiff opening, I have had no issues with the .410 barrel, or a 45/70 barrel I used to have.

Added - Now that I think about it, I believe I have read that it is possible to convert early frames to the easy open style, but I have not pursued it, as while stiff to operate, I guess I am just used to mine.

Larry

Thank you

1 - 3 of 3 Posts