Graybeard Outdoors banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New to the Contender world.....I am trying to understand if the Contender barrel's will fit both a G1 and a G2 or are they specific to each? If I have a G1 frame, can I only use G1 barrels? And vice versa. I found a video explaining the differences between the G1 the G2 and Encore frames, so I am thinking the barrels have to be generation specific. But, like I said, I am new to all this and just getting started.

·
Registered
871 Posts
Only the earliest Contender non stepped barrels are of concern fitting a G2, Armor Alloyed barrels are an issue for both unless the Contender frame is also AA it will have AA in the serial number and the barrels are stamped on the mounting lug AA , Some Rochester made barrels may need to be fitted to your frame Contender and G2, The most recent Springfield made are less likely to have fit issues on either Contender (G1) or G2s , All apart of the fun of owning Contenders... Enjoy the ADDICTION

Reactions: Uncle Howie

·
Registered
214 Posts
Edit- SEM beat me to the punch, with a response!

IN GENERAL, you should be able to use the same Contender barrels on both the original Contender, and the G2 Contender.

There may be some slight fitting or adjustment needed when switching between frames, or (especially) between generations of frames. That’s beyond my expertise, but there are others here, who will know. I only have the original Contender, and have never needed to do any adjustment.

One other thing to be aware of, is the existence of the Armor Alloy (plated) frames and barrels. There are som minor fit/compatibility issues with them, but I believe the AA components can be easily modified to work as part of a ”regular,” non-AA Contender setup.

You can do your own research. I have zero experience with the AA parts.

Welcome to the addiction! 😎

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Once an AA barrel has had it's pivot hole reamed to spec (plating removed) it'll serve as any other blued or stainless barrel
I have a super 14 in 35 Rem stamped AA but has been reamed and it mounts to my frames and shoots great.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts