Graybeard Outdoors banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Would two piece lugs make opening easier. I have an easy open frame and any barrel I try is difficult to open. Does lube help. Glad I have strong hands or I would not be able to open it. It’s even harder after a shot. Thanks

·
Registered
2,719 Posts
The 2 piece lugs are supposed to help. TC used to give them free, but not sure if they still do. You can call and ask them if they can do anything for it and see what they say. They told me they don't do the easy open conversion anymore. I have one I would love to have converted.

Rosewood

·
Registered
402 Posts
They are 'Locking bolts'. The split ones do open easier, but with as many frames and barrels floating around, it isnt always a match. You dont get much help from S&W these days. There were different thicknesses so they cold be fitted. Do you have the opportunity to swap with a different set ?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have two barrels, they both have the same lugs. Both take two hands to open on an easy open frame. I have an older frame and both barrels lock up and have to remove trigger to release them. When I had Comtenders 25 years ago I did not have theas problems. Maybe I should give up. Thanks

·
Registered
111 Posts
There is definately something wrong with the OP’s frame/barrels. Is he certain his is the Easy Open frame? Split bolts will help, as will a new dumbell roller. Check the roller drive surfaces on the trigger guard to see if they are excessively worn or damaged. Lube isn’t needed, nor recommended.

Do the barrels have aftermarket springs? Some folks replace theirs with stronger springs for better “accuracy” but mostly they just increase opening force.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
There is definately something wrong with the OP’s frame/barrels. Is he certain his is the Easy Open frame? Split bolts will help, as will a new dumbell roller. Check the roller drive surfaces on the trigger guard to see if they are excessively worn or damaged. Lube isn’t needed, nor recommended.

Do the barrels have aftermarket springs? Some folks replace theirs with stronger springs for better “accuracy” but mostly they just increase opening force.
Guess I’m out of luck since parts are not available. Maybe sell barrels and only buy barrels with two piece bolts. Thanks for the replies.

·
Registered
2,719 Posts
Granted it is aggravating, if you buy new barrels with two piece bolts, you can swap them out when needed to you old barrels.

There is a polishing technique that will improve the opening on the old bolts, seems like it is posted on GBO somewhere.

I would at least call TC myself and tell them your problem and see what they have to say about it. You never know who you might get on the phone. The bolts that come on the new barrels do fit the old barrels and they do still make them.

I started with a old non-easy open contender with a 35 remington barrel. Bought a 7-30 waters barrel and it was a challenge at times to open. For fun, I took the bolts from the 35 barrel and put on the 7-30 and low and behold, it was easier to open. I have not had any issues with any of my easy open frames though.

Rosewood

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Granted it is aggravating, if you buy new barrels with two piece bolts, you can swap them out when needed to you old barrels.

There is a polishing technique that will improve the opening on the old bolts, seems like it is posted on GBO somewhere.

I would at least call TC myself and tell them your problem and see what they have to say about it. You never know who you might get on the phone. The bolts that come on the new barrels do fit the old barrels and they do still make them.

I started with a old non-easy open contender with a 35 remington barrel. Bought a 7-30 waters barrel and it was a challenge at times to open. For fun, I took the bolts from the 35 barrel and put on the 7-30 and low and behold, it was easier to open. I have not had any issues with any of my easy open frames though.

Rosewood
Thanks, I’ll give it a try.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Guess I’m out of luck since parts are not available. Maybe sell barrels and only buy barrels with two piece bolts....
Why would you say that? Parts are available from third parties and T/C, no need to give up....

Reactions: rosewood

·
Registered
908 Posts
Use a stone, such as one for sharpening knives, finer the better.
Do not use a file!
You can't put the metal back!
Take your time.
Check your progress on multiple occasions by reassembly and response of the action.
Old Bellm Trick from his archives

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Use a stone, such as one for sharpening knives, finer the better.
Do not use a file!
You can't put the metal back!
Take your time.
Check your progress on multiple occasions by reassembly and response of the action.
Old Bellm Trick from his archives
Can you do this on the barrel or take them out ? How much to take off or just polish?
Thanks

·
Registered
908 Posts
Process can be attempted while locking lug is in place, but access to the necessary planes of bolt are more readily available if removed.
Proper size drive punch will easily remove 'c' pin.
I've dressed many a bolt and repeated reinstall to assure proper fit is needed.
When you find a bolt that has been filed, you will detect a loose fit on lockup to frame, no longer usable locking lug.
Strongest recommendation is use a stone to polish lug's face (top).
patience and luck be with you
Jimmy

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Process can be attempted while locking lug is in place, but access to the necessary planes of bolt are more readily available if removed.
Proper size drive punch will easily remove 'c' pin.
I've dressed many a bolt and repeated reinstall to assure proper fit is needed.
When you find a bolt that has been filed, you will detect a loose fit on lockup to frame, no longer usable locking lug.
Strongest recommendation is use a stone to polish lug's face (top).
patience and luck be with you
Jimmy
Thanks

1 - 20 of 20 Posts