Graybeard Outdoors banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
These actions can be a real pain in the butt. I can not remember ever having feeding problems with a push feed action. I currently have a Kimber 308 and a CZ 527 that I wish had push feed actions. I do not see any advantage to the CRF action. I will never buy another unless I change from the way I feel now. I dislike these actions more than detachable magazines, which is another story. Your opinions--vernonp

·
Premium Member
10,748 Posts
You should of got what works for you. Some people have arguments both good and bad for either one. I have both and use each without a problem. So I guess my answer was not help at all. :-D

·
Registered
563 Posts
In my opinion, it isn't a controlled feed action if it doesn't feed!!! Kimber have been a lot of negative reviews online lately because of sloppy work. This is the first report on CZ missing the boat. Poor quality control of a Mauser type or Winchester M70 action is a function of the factory and personnel, not the action design. Those actions are designed not to fail, though when you employ people manufacturing them that don't give a flip, you get a worthless action.

I'd be ticked too, but not at the design...

·
Registered
148 Posts
Having hunted in Africa on several occasions and been with and around numerous PHs... Don't think a one of them would consider a push feed rifle.

Curious, that.

·
Registered
356 Posts
He needs to be a little more descriptinve as to whats wrong here. The CZ 527 series has a known problem, its the trigger guard, magazine holder. If this is seated either too deep or too shallow into the stock, the rounds don't feed properly. Its a well known problem and well documented on some guns. Mine doesn't do it however. If this is the issue send it to CZ, they'll fix it.

RR

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Rogue Ram--------You are correct concerning the 527, It is the magazine.The Kimber may feed one round and then bind with the next. I just never can feel comfortable that it will feed.---------All I am saying is these are problems that would not exist if the rifles were push feed. I am doing a lot of shooting from the bench lately and I realise it would be nice to be able to single feed the rounds also. I have a CZ 550 American in 270 that feeds fine. I do feel that I am through with the CRF. There is a potential for problems that do not exist with the push feed.

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
Over the years I have had both push-feed and CRF rifles and have never had a problem with either. Savage and Ruger in the push mode, Ruger in the CRF’s. All-in-all I prefer the CRF’s but won’t make a buy/no-buy decision of that characteristic alone.

·
Registered
148 Posts
I've heard nothing to make me think your problem is a function of whether it is a CRF or push feed, but if you're talking about (mostly) target shooting just stick with push feeds. The benefit of a CRF doesn't mean much at the rifle range so no worries.

·
Registered
4,461 Posts
Jimi said:
I've heard nothing to make me think your problem is a function of whether it is a CRF or push feed, but if you're talking about (mostly) target shooting just stick with push feeds. The benefit of a CRF doesn't mean much at the rifle range so no worries.
Totally agree with this. The only time to worry if your shooting a Push Feed or Control Round Feed is if the receiving party has big teeth/claws on top of a bad attitude and less than good intentions for your health. Lawdog
:D

·
Registered
563 Posts
vernonp said:
All I am saying is these are problems that would not exist if the rifles were push feed. I am doing a lot of shooting from the bench lately and I realise it would be nice to be able to single feed the rounds also. I have a CZ 550 American in 270 that feeds fine. I do feel that I am through with the CRF. There is a potential for problems that do not exist with the push feed.
The problem would not exist if the rifle was manufactured properly. If it was a push and had issues, like some problems with Remington, you could be having a broken extractor, bolt handle popping off, or any number of other issues. This is a quality problem, not a problem with the design or platform of CRF actions.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
It don't matter to me very much. I know how to make a controlled feed out of a Savage or Winchester push feed. That don't mean it'd work any better. The best ones have their feed lips made as part of the reciever, not the magazine box.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Controlled round feed

I have a Ruger crf and have never had a problem with it. I think anyone in the states that needs protection from double feeding is muffing there first shot.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts