Graybeard Outdoors banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok gentlemen and ladies, first I will give the details:
-Ruger Old Army
-Kirst or RD 45 LC cylinder (have not bought one yet)
-Black powder (or pyrodex)
-Round ball only to start

Very important statement:
I am NOT using 454 Casull ammo in the conversion cylinder, but I was wondering if I could use just the brass?

I have a ton of 454 cases and I reload for my Super Red Hawk. I was just wondering if the brass would fit in the conversion cylinder and if I could seat a round ball flush with the top of the case (filled with black powder). If the case even would fit, would the small rifle primers be a problem? This would save me from buying 45 Colt brass, large pistol primers, changing my dies, etc.

Now that you all have picked yourself up off the floor while laughing hysterically I would appreciate an answer. :)

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
You do not really want those 454 cases to fit in that cylinder. I have one for my Pietta 58. Its limited to cowboy only loads in the colt cases. I use brass case for low press 45 and nickle 454 so they are easy to tell apart and dont fit in the conv cyl. If u dont load hot 45s u could trim the 454s down and only load the full length cases to high pressures. Using round ball or lead only in 45 and jacketed in high pressure helps identify.

·
Registered
521 Posts
We live in a land of "liability." So everyone "mush mouths" things. Over the years, loading manuals have cut loads... Why...

The 454 is supposedly a stronger .45 Long Colt. How? Must be more brass on the inside or it would not fit in the hole/chamber. I suspect if you cut them off to .45 Colt length you might have to inside ream to make room for the bullet...

Speer #9 manual had a load for .45 Black hawks ONLY with a lead bullet and 296 that nipped at the heels of the 44 Maggie... It got dropped. No doubt some fool had to use a jacketed bullet... in a real Colt... I hate to think what case life was... (none)

I would not hesitate if for survival to use .454 cases cut down and fitted loaded "warm." For your use, if you don't mind the reaming, used the ones with splitting necks, cut off for lighter duty. Since the old Colt only worked at 15K LUP ... warming it up... I wouldn't go nuts, but... At close range that .45 delivers a lot of energy... As long as you are not competing at 1,000 yards... Keith had that story about slowing down a wounded bear at 1,000 yards with a pistol. Still had to find the animal and finish it, but every hole helps.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.