Graybeard Outdoors banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A while back i purchased from a friend a Encore 209X50 that had been rebarreled to .223. I want to hunt deer with the Ecore as a pistol as well. Are their any regulations or fees that need to be addressed before i do this? I checked with the local ATF and the officer said that he was vaguely familiar with the Encore but said that he didn't think that it would be a problem. Your oppinions appreciated.

·
Registered
223 Posts
change

Go for it, but check your local laws first before you take it hunting. Here in PA you have to have either a concealed handgun carry permit or a sportsman permit to use a handgun for hunting. I am not aware of any NEW laws prohibiting the change from rifle to muzzy to handgun. I'll bet some exist in the Peoples Republic's of NJ and California, but then again, alot of non-freedoms exist over there. I carry every day, and shoot every day I can! I hunt in between those times.

·
Registered
289 Posts
The ATF web site (although tough to find your way around it) basically spells out that you can make it into a pistol no problem, just make sure you change the stock butt to a pistol grip first. That way if the ATF breaks into your house while you're in the middle of making the change they won't find you with an illegal rifle with a stock with a barrel under 16 inches. :lol: A pistol grip and a 26" barrel is okay, just not a short barrel with a shoulder stock...go figure. There are a couple sites out there that have the court case that Thompson Center won. They were trying to say the Contender was an illegal firearm because you could own the pieces to make an illegal firearm (frame, shoulder stock, pistol barrel). The ruling said, WRONG, until you put it together you can own all the pieces you want. So look out for ATF agents watching you make the change, or do the stock first.
Helicopter Bill

1 - 3 of 3 Posts