Graybeard Outdoors banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently read a statement saying that "any trapper of any experience soon learns that coon are hard to hold.."

Do you agree or disagree with this statement?

Please- just yes and no for no- we wil get into reasons later

·
Registered
218 Posts
OK Trappnman,
I didnt 'bite' on the newbie post, but ill get in on this one...I have a lot to learn about 'coons.
YES...I think they are hard to hold in a foothold trap.

come on the rest of you...post so we can get to the learning....
Tim B

·
Premium Member
3,084 Posts
Steve, NO

·
Registered
61 Posts
No I dont think there hard to hold at all.

Sounds to me like somebody needs to reconsider the type of set and the traps there using. maybe there weak ? to much entanglment ? Theres a number of possibilitys that can be causing the problem.

clint

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
come on guys- a few more replies- doesn't matter if you are experienced or not- just if you trap coon. My vote btw is No.

·
Registered
12 Posts
My answer is yes on dry land and no at water sets. This is my 2nd year traping them using 1 1/2 c.s. on dry land. I tried to clear away any thing solid they can get a hold of but I still have trouble. I would like to hear the solutions you guys have.

·
Registered
10 Posts
holding coon

Hey...no I dont think they are hard to hold.I think some people use a trap thats to big and thats where they lose em.

·
Registered
218 Posts
OK Trappnman,
aside from five points john (on the land), im th only one that has trouble holdin coon....so I guess Im the only one that needs help. Whats your point and why do I have trouble holding coon and everyone else aint??
Tim B

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
All those that feel coon aren't hard to hold in a trap- I would like to know 2 things- do you trap on land or water (or both) and what trap do you use?

For those that do have trouble holding coon- the same 2 questions apply.

For those that do not feel coon are hard to hold- why do you think your trap and methods are giving you these results?

For those that do feel coon are hard to hold- why?

Is there any connection between viewpoint and trap?

:? Patience now- the reason I am doing this piecemeal is so neither I nor you get any preconcevied notions. It will all tie together by and by.

·
Registered
114 Posts
When trapping coon I prefer to set in water.
For traps either a 1, 1.5, 1.75 or 2 will do.
Operating on a daily check few coon will be lost.

·
Registered
218 Posts
on land I usually am setting for yotes, fox or cats. I use 1.75cs for most sets with the exception of #3cs for my cat sets. The coons I have caught there have been incidentals. I think they are hard to hold because i have seen where the trap hits the animal high on the lower leg and then when i run traps (early morning, usually before light) I see the ol'coon only hanging on by one toe!

in the water i use 1.5cs and used some 1.5Ls till a feller convinced me they were worthless for coon (not sure if I believe that or not) anyway, all my sets are on drounder cables, however i too often see where the coon has refused to go down the cable and instead claws for the land leaving me a empty trap. The chains on my water traps consist of 2 swivels and 3 links...totaling about 6 inches. I usually dig picket sets, and stake as far from shore as i can so the trap stayes as close to the water as possible. Most of my water sets are onder 2-4 inches of water.
help...i wanna learn.
Tim B

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Tim- hopefully we can help each other !

I was asking the questions for a couple of reasons. I personally think the 1.5 cs is the perfect all around trap- if by law I could have only one trap- that would be it. I find coon not at all hard ot hold on land, and I don't worry about tangelements, etc. Only "secrets" are- 1) as one poster stated- bed your traps as for canines 2) use a dog guide stick. #short chain. I use Dukes. On land- my instances of pullouts are very rare- almost non existant.

Now in water- in general, I have little problem with pullouts. On staked or drag sets ( I use logs on small streams) I again have little problem holding coon.

But on drowning wire sets- I have more pullouts than any other type. I find more of this occuring in "high lever" type traps such as the older Victors. I find these empty at the end of the wire 2-3 times a week. My theorey is that as the coon tries to go down the wire, his feet push on the springs, and he looses the grip enough to pull out. The wet foot surely helps this happen.

I thought #11 might take care of this problem, and that problem they do- but I found that, for me, the number of snapped traps was just way too high. In water, most catches are by the back foot, and the back foot on a coon of any size can easily span a #11.

A #11 on land, although I hear of some that have success with it, to me is worthless- it just can't come up through the amount of dirt needed to bed traps properly.

Comments?

1 - 20 of 37 Posts