Graybeard Outdoors banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have recently purchased a used 6mm Remington bolt action that shoots sub minute of angle for about seven or eight shots then copper fouling causes the accuracy to fall off.
I need some good suggestions on how to smooth the bore without harming the accuracy. Any ideas?
williek

· Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
more information

The barrel isn't new. I bought it from a friend and I knew it was an accurate weapon when I purchased it. I do not know how carefully he cleaned the barrel. It is still accurate, shooting under an inch until a few shots have gone down range then it begins to slowly open the group.
I shoot very carefully and slowly. Fire one shot, consult the spotting scope. reload, watch the wind flags so I can shoot in the same condition as much as possible, and I do not shoot until the conditions are right. I would expect that at least two to three minutes between shots. I got past the fun of bang bang shooting many years ago, although hunting snowshoe rabbits with a .22 auto in the winter is still a lot of fun.
It will work just fine for a hunting rifle; however, I had hoped to use it on prairie dog shooting which will not work out if the accuracy goes south after a few rounds.
A number of people have suggested JB paste even though it might take some time. I think I will try using it each time after I have cleaned the barrel and see if there is any improvement.
Thank you for all your suggestions.
Good Hunting,
williek

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.