Graybeard Outdoors banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Banned
24,569 Posts
We can't have cats roaming cats out here, they always disappear. They are around for a little while then the
coyotes or the owls get them. Sometimes the little dogs to, the preachers wife was taking hers out to do its
business. She tuned her back then bam, it was gone, no sound no trace no nothing.
Owls are like a dive bomber they're in and out before you know it. I keep a tree canopy they are not as quick
to try that with a tree in the way.

·
Registered
7,461 Posts
That cat must either extremely lucky, or smart! 26 years and still roaming outside! I've got one that's around 8, goes outside once in awhile, but with coyote's, falcons, stray dogs, feral cats once in awhile. Even he might come up missing one day. gypsyman

·
Registered
243 Posts
We have one Tom that came to us 13 years ago as a stray. He now rules the roost we belong to him. Last vet trip he weighed 13 lb. He is getting to the age he would rather avoid things than take them on. He has been known to take on a Red Fox more than once. Even to the point of killing one in our yard a few years back. Living where we do a cat takes it's chances if outside from other critters.

·
Banned
24,569 Posts
We had owls so bad a couple of years ago that the state had to send in a hunter/ traper to find and either kill them or relocate them. I had a golden owl take up shop on my porch, it was a very big bird with an attitude.
You didn't go near it, but it died that afternoon for some reason. The Deputy's I called said it must have eaten a rat that had been poisoned. A raptor can be a very spooky critter.

·
Registered
3,882 Posts
When my wife worked at vet clinics people were always bringing in outdoor cats that had been mangled by something. The typical outdoor cat has a short life, about 5 years tops, so good on Corduroy for being the exception.

·
Banned
24,569 Posts
JSH1 said:
When my wife worked at vet clinics people were always bringing in outdoor cats that had been mangled by something. The typical outdoor cat has a short life, about 5 years tops, so good on Corduroy for being the exception.

Sometimes that mangled is because they get under the hood of a vehicle, then when you come out and start it it messes them up pretty bad. I've lost a couple of them like that.

·
Registered
8,558 Posts
In the North Star Borough, we have a leash law against dogs and cats running loose. If the Coyotes, Eagles, Hawks, and Owls don't get them, Connibars (set for fox), or .17 HMRs do. I hate loose running cats, they kill the Song Birds, and Grouse that nest around my house.

Three times I've had cats crawl under the hood of my vehicles, then I came out and started the vehicle. Once in Tennessee, and one in California. Scared the heck out of me, both times. Both cats made it out from under the car, but died later. The last one was in Alaska, I had seen the cat earlier that day, so when I heard the squawling I knew what it was and shut down the engine. Diesel engines sure make a mess of one. Had to go and have the engine steam cleaned.

Had a couple move in across the street. They had a big cat that they let run loose. I went over one day to ask them to stop letting the cat loose. As I was walking up their drive and saying hi to them I heard the whistle of air over wings. Looked around just in time to see a young Bald Eagle grab the cat, and fly away. The cat was out on the road in front of their place, and the Eagle could not have timed it better. The woman went into hysterics the man started throwing rocks at the bird that was already out of range. I just turned and left. They never got another cat, while they lived there.

·
Banned
24,569 Posts
I had a tractor a momma cat had kittens in. It killed everyone of them and broke the water pump when I started it. But rats will do the same thing, no mercy on them they destroy the wiring harnesses its a real mess to try and fix. You have to be carful with cats, they can bring in mange and give it to your other critters.
It makes them go crazy then they do some of the nastiest stuff you've ever seen.
And if you've got cats, bunnies, rats, your going to get other critters coming out of the desert you for sure don't want.

·
Registered
8,558 Posts
When I lived in New Mexico, I kept my horses at a stables north of town. A young girl brought a bunch of kittens out and said she was going to let them run loose to kill rats and mice around the barns. At the time I told Bar Fifer (the owner) to say good bye to his chickens. Bar laughed saying cats don't bother chickens. I noticed my laying hens started disappearing.

One Saturday morning I drove out to feed the horses, and Bar came up to my stalls. Bar was really mad, he said he had seen the cats killing his Rooster that morning. Bar asked me if I could get rid of the cats quietly without anyone else knowing. I told him I could, Barr said "Do it". So I quietly used my .22 Remington pump, with CB caps. I would sit in my tack room and wait till I got the right shot. I put the bullet right behind the ear. The cat would just flop down and lye there. When no one was looking I would go out and pick it up and toss it in the arroyo behind the stables.

When all the cats were gone the young girl came to Barr crying about all her cats disappearing. Old Barr just said, "DaXXXX Coyotes". A week or so later the girl came and told Barr her old cat had another litter of kittens, and she was going to bring them out and let them run loose. Barr told her if she did she needed to find another place to keep her horses. He was not going to have anymore cats out there.

I shot two Coyotes coming in looking for those dead cats.

·
Banned
24,569 Posts
I shouldn't say this, but the best way to eleminate vermin including skunks under the house. Is to put a bowl of cat food under the house laced with antifreeze. You would think a chemical weapon went off under there.
Nothing is left alive, them just get a bag and drag them out. The best thing to kill a bad spider on the spot where they immediately fold up like a card stone cold dead. Is a can of B12 carburetor cleaner, and you can use it from four feet away.

·
Registered
8,558 Posts
Argent 11: It works. Lots of people know about it, and have used it.

·
Banned
24,569 Posts
Sourdough said:
Argent 11: It works. Lots of people know about it, and have used it.

It works on rats also, I hate rats they can mess up everything. Chew on your radiator hoses, wiring harnesses.
I used to go out on an emergency generator out at a microwave site out in the desert.
As soon as I opened the door of my truck I could smell it, the weatherproof housing was packed full of trash
and smelled like urine. A very expensive repair.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts