Graybeard Outdoors banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,814 Posts
I would hear most all references to the gun as being a Bis-Lee

Much more common mis-pronounciation would be the Vaquero...
VA-Karo
or
VA-Quer-O

I dont know which one of these is right but always choose the latter.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well thank you all. Reason I ask is a dealer looked over the counter at me recently and TOLD me it was pronounced 'BEEZ-lee'.

Glance: ' Vah-kair-do'. Think old Mexico. The spanish 'r' has a light 'd' sound.

·
Premium Member
1,504 Posts
From everyone I've heard talk of it, including some within the industry and Ruger, it's always been pronouned Va-care-o. The "qu" is like with quesadilla and has the "ca" sound.

·
Registered
537 Posts
I can't for the life of me understand why some would pronounce it BEEZ-ley, when the spelling should guide you. It's like the first syllable in the word BIZ-ness, (sic to explain), but some do. Just my 2 cents, jd45

·
Premium Member
2,333 Posts
i must be missing something, never talked to a Spanish person, that i know of,
but i have talked with a few Mexicans and they don't pronounce an r like a d,
if anything they roll the r.
another $.02

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
::)

I said a light d with the r. Trust me.

Two Rs would require rolling the Rs.

Stick with " Va-care-o ", ******.

·
Registered
320 Posts
jengel said:
What about SABOT? I say that it is pronounced SAY-BOW.
You are correct. But I tried years ago using that pronunciation and got strange looks so I followed the sheep on this one

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
Stuart said:
BIZ-lee or BEEZ-lee?
Both are correct as long as the prefix "My" is used. ;D

·
Premium Member
2,048 Posts
And my pet peeve, that Finnish ammo maker. They call themselves Lop-wa but everybody I know calls them La-poo-ah. Aargh!

As for Vaquero, around here (New Mexico) the V sounds like a B. So it's Ba-care-oh. And yes, the r is a light d sound, a tap of the tongue to the top of your mouth.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Nobade said:
And my pet peeve, that Finnish ammo maker. They call themselves Lop-wa but everybody I know calls them La-poo-ah. Aargh!

As for Vaquero, around here (New Mexico) the V sounds like a B. So it's Ba-care-oh. And yes, the r is a light d sound, a tap of the tongue to the top of your mouth.
Spanish class in highschool ,taught us to ROLL THE LETTER , R

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
I speak 2 languages, English and bad English. I think it is called American. I kind of prefer it this way. Someone once said that Great Britain and America were two countries divided by a common language. I don't care much about the original pronunciation, as long as the intent gets across. Whether it is Bee sley or Biz sly is not important or whether the R's roll in Spanish. It won't be long before we will all be able to understand common Mecican. That I don't like.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts