Graybeard Outdoors banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As you have heard there is not enough inflation to justify a raise to the people on social security, mil. retired,or the military in fact according to the government your cost of living dropped this year (they use different stores) However CONGRESS gets their automatic raise regardless I would suggest you contact your senators and reps and let then know that if they take this they are on the short list for unemployment.

·
Administrator
26,228 Posts
My health insurance is going up $50 a month next year but I get no cost of living raise so that means I'll have $50 a month less to live on. now that sure seems like my cost of living went up to me.

·
Premium Member
2,402 Posts
true, no inflation, which is what the COLA is ties to. but it SHOULD, in my opinion, be tied to the consumer price index.

because we could go a long time with negative or even zero inflation, yet the price of goods and services goes way up.

less money in the pockets is less money in the pockets. doesn't matter why.

·
Premium Member
7,574 Posts
mjbgalt said:
true, no inflation, which is what the COLA is ties to. but it SHOULD, in my opinion, be tied to the consumer price index.

because we could go a long time with negative or even zero inflation, yet the price of goods and services goes way up.

less money in the pockets is less money in the pockets. doesn't matter why.

If the price of goods and services going up is not inflation, could someone please explain what inflation is to me?

·
Premium Member
2,402 Posts
inflation is when the dollar has less purchasing power, thats simplistic but it will work for now.

in our situation, inflation is zero yet prices are going up. that means less purchasing power.

then add in inflation later, and not only is the dollar going down but prices going up at the same time. bigger gap.

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
man i hear you about health insurance .. its just gone crazy ..like everything else i guess.
im waiting for all this to put me in bankruptsy.. its bound to happen sooner or later.
i really worry about it to,, :Das my other bankruptsy was the only time i ever had sure knowledge that ,
no money was being spent that i didn t know nothing about..slim

·
Premium Member
7,574 Posts
Inflation

In economics, inflation is a rise in the general level of prices of goods and services in an economy over a period of time.[1] When the price level rises, each unit of currency buys fewer goods and services; consequently, inflation is also an erosion in the purchasing power of money – a loss of real value in the internal medium of exchange and unit of account in the economy.[2][3] A chief measure of price inflation is the inflation rate, the annualized percentage change in a general price index (normally the Consumer Price Index) over time.[4]

I'm still wondering how we are being told there is no inlation?

·
Premium Member
2,402 Posts
that's what i am saying. we are not experiencing the typical inflation by their definition, but the same actions are taking place. the dollar buys less and the prices go up.

·
Premium Member
7,574 Posts
If it is not inflation we are experiencing, what is it?

Kinda like Klinton quote, "it depends on what the definition of is is".

No wonder our government folks can't understand the phrase, "the right of the People to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed".

·
Premium Member
3,161 Posts
torpedoman said:
As you have heard there is not enough inflation to justify a raise to the people on social security, mil. retired,or the military in fact according to the government your cost of living dropped this year (they use different stores) However CONGRESS gets their automatic raise regardless I would suggest you contact your senators and reps and let then know that if they take this they are on the short list for unemployment.
This is exactly what gives the Tea Party & 9-12 organizations legs to stand on. DC is out of touch and I'm afraid of what it'll take to set things straight.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts