Graybeard Outdoors banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went up to shoot my '06 boy I like it more and more every time I pull the trigger shot my best to date [email protected]=0.997 ya that's what I said 5 shots 0.997.Anyway on the way back I saw a yote in a clear-cut Bushnell yardage-pro 400 said,117yrds put the crosshair near the top of his back and BOOM.....WOW What a MESS it was a small yote but, boy those 150gr Hornadys sure put a hole in that sucker.I'll have to play with some 130gr NBT's and use those for the yotes.

·
Registered
257 Posts
That '06 is also pretty devastating on bobcats. Was sitting in the deer stand listening to a flock of turkeys comming up the draw scratching in the leaves and contact calling to one another when I spotted something gray moving slowly down the draw at about 65 yards. It was a big bobcat, low to the ground and stalking. A single 150gr bronze point behind the shoulder ended any of his hopes for a turkey dinner. He weighed 31 lbs, which is pretty large for this area. I had hopes of getting him mounted 'till I saw the exit wound. Large enough for a clenched fist to fit in. Too large for the taxidermist to do anything with though. I've been carrying my T/C contender in .218 bee with hopes that another will slip close enough for a shot. Better luck next time.

Frog :D

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
I would think that the lighter bullet would make a bigger mess than the 150 did, But it should kill real well.

·
Premium Member
309 Posts
PJ, you've got a winner load for that '06. I can see the 7-30 taking a back seat! ;-] Isn't that 150 spire point is a wonderful bullet! I never saw a need for a premium bullet after I saw what it does to whitetails.

I've heard that the Hornady 130s do a nice job on varmints. I've found them to be very accurate out of my '06 rifle. But I'm sorry to say that I have no personal field experience with them as I've been using the 7-30 exclusively these days. However, the field reports from others are glowing and they sure are a lot cheaper than NBTs.

BTW, I had my hands on an used Encore in a 308 today. I tempted as the price is right. I had visions of 150 spire points sailing out of the barrel on their way to their targets. The problem is that I don't know what I would do with it as I have all that I need with the Contender.

Blessings!

ShootnStr8

·
Registered
32 Posts
ShootnStr58, You're really in trouble, now.....

ShootnStr58, Did I hear you right??? Did you actually say, "The problem is that I don't know what I would do with it as I have all that I need with the Contender."????? :eek: You do realize, don't you, that saying something like that is breaking one of the "Ten Commandments of the Contender." :eek: Not sure which exact one it is, but it says something like, "Thou shalt never have enough Contenders, nor their accessories, thereof......." Can someone help me here w/ the exact wording of the Commandment SS58 has broken???? :lol: Don't despair, though, as I suspect there is something you can do tobe forgiven of your disobedience.
:p Gary T.

·
Premium Member
309 Posts
A thousand pardons, Gary! Ah, yes, I do remember that commandment!

You may recall Adam's excuse when God busted him, "The woman that you put here with me gave me it and I ate." I guess I've got to plead, "The graybearded one that you put here recommended it and I bought!" Using the divinely appointed 7-30 Waters, Hornady 100s slay varmints and various and sundry bullets from 120s to 139s do a job on whitetails. If I hunted larger animals that "parteth the hoof" or bear, I could certainly see the need for a more potent cartridge. As it is, God has provided one good pistol that gives me the one good shoot I need. Thereby I obey God's words to the Apostle, "Get up Peter. Kill and eat." (Acts 10:13). :-]

Blessings!

ShootnStr8

·
Registered
181 Posts

Pj,
I don't know if sabot ammunition is still available for the 06 and 308 or not. I've never tried them but might work in the Encore? Just a thought.
Keep up the good shooting. Jerry J :grin:

·
Registered
3,161 Posts
sabots

jerry j I saw some of the sabots for sale I believe last week on e-bay in the reloading section just the sabots not the bullets if you were interested I dont know if they still make them for sale or not :D JIM

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Sabots

Anyone interested in loading their own sabots for .30 caliber should look at WWW.Eabco.com and check out their sabots and seating tool. I would like to get some and try them in my .300 Whisper.. :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts