Registered
945 Posts
Crossbows legalized during bowseason in Ala

Crossbows....it's about time :-D .........Rick

·
Premium Member
1,920 Posts
Huh?

Somehow I don't understand how bowhunters of Alabama are losers because crossbows were legalized??? Could you explain? Crossbows are legal in general season only in Texas, not in the archery season, but if they were to become legal for all seasons, I would likely buy one and hunt with it. Decoys are bad? Again, I may not use decoys or crossbows, but somehow adding a scope to a muzzleloader , placing out a turkey decoy or switching to a horizontal bow doesn't seem to me to ruin it for those who prefer to hunt with a flintlock and iron sights.

Adding hunters and their $ for tags, license etc... seems like a good thing to me. So I hunt with a handgun, or lever gun because I prefer it. Sometimes, I take out a scoped bolt gun and hunt. It doesn't make me less a hunter than my iron sighted lever gun simply because it makes it easier to place my shot properly in low light conditions, or at longer distances.
markc

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Premium Member
1,920 Posts
OK.

I see what your point was originally, but now I have another question. Not being a crossbow hunter, but a compound bow hunter, why is a crossbow harder to hunt with? Seems like someone who for whatever reason can't draw and hold a compound or recurve/long bow, might still be able to enjoy bow hunting with a crossbow that is held at full draw. But why is it harder? I've only shot toy crossbows and none of the newer hunting ones.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Registered
326 Posts

You guys want to laugh, NH legalized crossbows to be used during rifle season this year, whats wrong with that, bunch of dummies, they should have it during bow season not rifle season;) Oh well, I never get what F&G is thinking half the time. Aim small hit small. RAMbo.

·
Registered
996 Posts

My buddy is one of those "Man if they would only legalize crossbows for bow season" guys (Boy I didnt hear the end of it when NH only legalized them for rifle season." I sure got him lookin at me cockeyed when I told him I would even like to try recurve hunting :grin: . But my buddy can be a stubborn jackass at times!
Good day,
Brian
P.S. Rmouleart, Ive been curious since I saw you were from NH too. What part o the woods ya from? Im from Manchester myself.

·
Registered
326 Posts

I live on the backside of Clarks farm in Bedford, on the Manchester line,off of Ruttlet hill, we are home boyz ;) Aim small hit small. RAMbo.

·
Registered
996 Posts

Talk about a small....er internet :grin: . I just found out that the whisker biscuit rest I want is on sale at Cabelas. Once I got it Im heading to Steves Sportsmans den over in Hooksett to get it all tuned and ready. Gotta take my Bowhunters course and start practicing. Im not planning on trying to make the season this year, but my blood is already flowing just thinking about it. A good friend from work, George Reno, loves blackbear hunting in Pittsburgh. He has been hunting the same site for years. His favorite method is bow. He sure has filled my head with all kinds of possibilities :grin: .
Anyways, nice to see a fellow New Hampshirite. Sorry to get a little off topic folks.
Brian M.

·
Registered
127 Posts

Dutch, I don't understand the comparison between bows and crossbows as to the ease of use. If that is one of the reasons you are against them then the same comparison could be made beween bows and rifles, does that mean that we should not hunt bows either? Mike

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

·
Registered
127 Posts

Dutch, I guess I'm missing something because I don't see how legalizing x-bows is hurting wildlife managment. I hunt with a bow and I'm also gonna hunt with a x-bow but that doesn't mean I'm gonna kill more deer because I know that x-bows are not any more accurate or easier to hunt than a bow. And 3 extra days of muzzleloader season during the middle of the week isn't gonna change much either. Wildlife management depends more on the ones hunting not the ones making the laws cause I know my freezer won't be anymore full this year than last.Mike

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

·
Registered
127 Posts

You wrote: When special interest groups who own Fortune 500 companies have your game laws changed just so that they can sell more product, they are changing the game laws not in the interest of the wildlife and it's management.
I didn't have to put words in your mouth you wrote them on the internet. when you said that changing the game laws (legalizing x-bows) was not in the interest of wildlfe and it's management I took it to mean the same as hurting it. The only reason you say the manner in which it was done is unorthodox is that you are against x-bows plain and simple. Mike

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

·
Registered
127 Posts

Dutch, I believe you should have said that Dan Moultrie called to voice his displeasure with accusations of running the CAB in an unorthodox manner. The two articles are contradicting because in the first one he is accusing Moultrie of holding secret meeting but in the second he states that he never implied he was running a dirty board. He also talks of Moultrie never being dishonest. So I guess these articles neither prove or disprove anything. Never had too much trust in the media anyway. And no, I do not think you are against technology, just change, based on comments you made on another forum. Mike

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

·
Registered
127 Posts

OK Dutch, Since you were questioning my reserch ability in an earlier post, I thought I would do a little, and it seems to me you are talking out both sides of your mouth, You tell me on this forum that if you were king you would legalize all weapons on October 15th and you are not against crossbows but statements like, and I quote "fledgling crossbow crowd" make me think different. And you"re statement about sending a man to the gas chamber without a fair trial because the evidence weighed heavily against him and everyone (except in this case it's just the diehard bowhunters and the anti x-bow crowd) thought he was guilty, is exactly what you are doing to Dan Moltrie and the CAB. And as far as dirty politics seems you are trying a lttle bit of your own and I quote again " if we could get just 300 people to call the legislature it would seem as though the whole world hates crossbows". Statements like those and others are why I say it's not about the way things were done, it's because you don't like the changes that are about to come and will do anything to stop them, even accusations of dirty politics. And no, I don't have any problems with the changes except for the hunting from a vehicle, it could get abused by less than ethical hunters.Mike

1 - 20 of 38 Posts