Graybeard Outdoors banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
;D Yesterday I feel into a beautiful full Custom A3-03. It has a 24" tube, Timney trigger, Fajan stock and a 2 groove barrel. I paid $ 329.00 at a local gun shop. The bore is perfect. Has anyone shot a 2 groove and give me an idea on what bullet weight is best for the 2 groove. I have been looking for a good one for years and i could not have asked for a more perfect rifle. thanks, Jess

·
Premium Member
9,526 Posts
Jess - nice find. I was seeing some like that out west last year and in the same price range. I shoulda, hadda, outghta got one.

I've shot two groove barrels before, Springfields and SMLEs, and they are good and accurate. All mine, whatever the bore seemed to prefer the heavier slugs, 180s in the 06 and the same in the 303s, but both seemed to shoot just about anything equally well.

I think you just have to get that honey out to the range and see what she wants to do............JMTCW. Mikey.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
;D Mikey thanks! I just ordered a 4-12x40 Pentax Gameseeker for it and will have at the range next weekend. I just got a Cow hunt on Dec 15 and need to fine tune this puppy for some much needed Elk steaks. I am going to try Fusion 150, 165 and 180's and see which it likes the best. I also have a Custom 98 Mauser with heavy 26" barrel in 243 that i have shot 3/4" to 1 inch groups with at 200 yards. I paid the same for it at the same gunshop. Jess

·
Premium Member
9,526 Posts
Jess: Shoot that baby. My preference in the 06 for Elk is a 180 and I think your A3 may prefer the heavier slugs. Good luck with your Elk tag.

That 98 Mauser sounds pretty sweet too. Mikey.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
;D Mikey I lied bout the scope. I just ordered a 1.5-6x40 Gameseeker and put the 4-12x40 on my Custom 98. I decided on the 165 gr Nosler for my Cow hunt. Went to the Valle Caldera here in Nm and saw 4 herds of Elk with about 500-600 animals total. At least 4 bulls in the 400 class. Only if i had a hunt in that area! ;D ;D ;D ;D Jess

1 - 5 of 5 Posts