Graybeard Outdoors banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking to purchase a new barrel as I've not had luck in finding a good used one in the standard caliber(s) I seek... I have no issue with buying new but have only ever owned original TC stuff. Not trying to start any arguments, just looking for some honest feedback from those who've gone the custom-route with barrels from Bullberry and/or Match Grade Machine - what're your thoughts between these two? It appears BB may be a bit more expensive, but sometimes you get what you pay for...? I didn't include SSK as I think they are too expensive and focus primarily on their calibers. Thoughts?
Thanks!

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
I have a few MGM barrels that I bought from Ed's T/Cs and a few that I custom ordered. They have all been very accurate from the start. I have no experience with Bullberry but have always heard good things about them.
FM

·
Registered
709 Posts
I have a .223 from Bullberry and .17 HMR and .357 Maximum from MGM. All these are in carbine length barrels. I bought them new, and I say that for a reason. Bullberry had a long delivery time frame, two months to be exact. MGM delivery time frame was only 3 weeks. Both companies make very accurate barrels and I would buy from them again. Also if your interested in having stocks and forearms made, only Bullberry does that.

Jim

·
Registered
123 Posts
I just picked up a MGM 14" stainless barrel for my Contender. I'm very happy with the purchase and will buy from them again.

·
Premium Member
9,821 Posts
MGM's 1 MOA accuracy guarantee has held true for the barrels I've bought from them.

Sent from my SM-S765C using Tapatalk

·
Registered
157 Posts
Great topic. My only custom barrel was from Fox Ridge ordered through TC and its really nice. I ordered a high Polish blue. Does anyone know if Fox Ridge actually made their own barrels or could they have subcontracted the work out to Bullberry or another outfit?

·
Premium Member
9,821 Posts
Great topic. My only custom barrel was from Fox Ridge ordered through TC and its really nice. I ordered a high Polish blue. Does anyone know if Fox Ridge actually made their own barrels or could they have subcontracted the work out to Bullberry or another outfit?
I think T/C had their own custom shop and made the barrels there. Fox Ridge was their retail store in Rochester NH, it was right out in front of the T/C plant. Back when it was open you used to be able to walk right into the store and order custom barrels from their catalog. They had a counter and clerk in the store just for the custom shop. I remember looking through the catalog at all the offerings right in the store. The good old days...

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
E.Arthur Brown makes excellent barrels... as did Ingram, Coyote Guns and Acc.
I've got no MGM, VV, or BullBerry... but I'm certain they're worth their salt.
I haven't had any trouble from factory stuff either.

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
I have a 10" .45 ACP from MGM, and it shoots great. Then again, my factory barrels shoot great too. I can't speak for Bullberry as I've never owned, or even gotten to shoot, one of their barrels. Heard a lot of good about them though.

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
I only recommend SSKIndustries.com for custom work. The prices may be a little higher, but no comparison to the quality they put in their barrels.

Sent from my LG-H810 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
I know you are talking Contender here, but I just got an Encore barrel from MGM. The cartridge is the 30-40 Krag. I previously purchased a 308 factory Encore barrel and it is unbelievably terrible!!!...

I am shooting strictly cast boolits and the Krag is absolutely amazing with only about 75-85 rounds through it so far…

I have fired several 0.65” or less with it 100 yards…

If I were going to purchase another custom barrel, it would be MGM. But, I have never had a custom barrel so I may not be making a good statement as I have no barrel to compare when it comes to custom…

Good-luck…BCB

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
I ordered four 20" Contender barrels from Fox Ridge, 22LR, 22 Hornet, 223, 38Spl. I am glad that I got them while they were in business. When I called for an update on my order I was told they were being blued at that time and I would receive them shortly. I was so happy I ordered a Synthetic G2 stock.
FM

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just picked up a MGM 14" stainless barrel for my Contender. I'm very happy with the purchase and will buy from them again.
MGM makes awesome barrels… Mine is in a very specialized .280 AI designed to push the Berger 195EOL CCS( Cross Canyon Solution)@ 2878fps… this setup gives me some wiggle room from my not so good wind calling!!!!
Camera lens Wood Air gun Camera accessory Optical instrument

Office supplies Ammunition Bullet Bottle Natural material

1 - 20 of 21 Posts