Graybeard Outdoors banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Among custom gunmakers that don't have their own proprietary action, why is it most use Remington 700 actions; and, to a lesser extent, Winchester model 70 actions? The only exception I can think of offhand is Christenson Arms that offers a Sako Model 75 option.

Is the Remington 700 the most potentially accurate action? Or is it just readily available. Why not build a custom gun around a Mark V, A-Bolt, Savage, Tikka, Ruger or Mauser action. Charles Daly sells mauser actions but I'm not aware of any gunsmiths with web sites that use 'em.

Any thoughts or opinions?

·
Registered
2,281 Posts
Remington actions cost less. I've read they are easier to bed. They are like Chevy pickup trucks, there are more aftermarket parts for them. Rifles made from Remington actions may be easier to get the best accuracy from but I don't buy in on Winchester or other CRF actions can't be the foundation for rifles as accurate. Many folks site Remington actions are used for most law enforcement and military sniper rifles as if that indicates Remington actions are the best or most accurate. I don't believe that is true as much as they can be made to be very accurate cheaper than most other actions. While I don't believe controlled round feed is more reliable than push feed IMHO Reminton's extractors on their centerfire rifles are crap. I've never had Reminton extractor break but I still consider them junk and cheap.

·
Registered
753 Posts
I've got custom rifles on Sako,Win,Ruger,Mauser and Rem actions so don't fall into the trap on just Rem actions. I do have more varmit rifles build on Rem action main reason is the 2oz trigger.

·
Premium Member
3,717 Posts
Excellent responses. I too agree with all of you.

I can only add that, from what I understand, the Remington M700 action is stronger than the Winchester M70 action. However, I have a .375H&H Mag in a Winchester M70 stainless action and it has held up wonderfully and is the most accurate rifle I own, so don't get too hung up on "almost everyone uses Remington actions, so I should too." :wink:

Zachary[/color]

·
Registered
563 Posts
I doubt that Remington makes a stronger action than Winchester, Ruger, Weatherby, MRC, et al. Even if they did, it would take a scary overload to destroy any of them unless there was a defect to begin with. Any of them with a catastrophic defect will be weak regardless of which platform it started as.

Most of the higher end custom rifles use Mauser 98 (of some manufacture) or Winchester M70 actions (or even Dakota), especially big game rifles. Many of the less expensive "custom" guns will use the Remington action. The top end makers that are producing rifles for absolute dependability for dangerous game hunters typically work over a 98 Mauser or M70 Winchester.

·
Registered
4,461 Posts
The main reason many gunsmiths use Remington actions for so called "custom" rifles is COST. Actions cost less and are easily available with tons of after market parts at somewhat lower cost. It’s not that the action is any stronger or better, as always it’s the bottom line - PROFIT. Lawdog
:D

1 - 6 of 6 Posts