Graybeard Outdoors banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Who is your smith? I have a project I'm working on and need someone who is good at making a stock out of a blank.
My project is a Swede. M- 96 that will be squared, trued, and laped. It will rebarreled with a CM Shilen in .250 Sav. The bolt will be jeweled, the bolt handle will be replaced. I am installing a detachable mag. floorplate, a steel grip cap and buttplate. The stock will be cut from a blank of clairo walnut that has fiddle back through out on both sides. All metal will be finished in a deep matte black because it will be a deer rifle.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Custom touches?

The main reason for the 96 action is its well made and smaller than the 98. I wanted to build something other than a mass produced, machine made, action. The old (mine was made in 1917) Mauser actions are as close as you can get to a custom hunting action without spending ten times the money (mine cost $98.00). If you are looking to buy one find one made before the 1940s and made in a country that made and still makes high quaility a priority.
The .250 Sav. is one of my farorite deer rounds. It will do everything the 243 Win. will do and more. It is mild recoiling and fairly quiet compared to other rounds, not to mention a very accurate cartridge. The other reason for the .250 Sav. is that its not a cal. that quickly erodes the barrel, so I should be able to shoot it a long long time. Its a way over looked classic round that people have forgotten.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts