Graybeard Outdoors banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
3,196 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had gotten several winter squash plants and also started some others from seed. The ones I put in from plants grew as expected, but the ones started from seed grew up only three or 4 inches and then seemed to stall out. They grew very little while the ones put in as plants went crazy with the weather. Finally as I was looking at the ones started from seed I noticed one was tipped over, I looked at it and it had been cut off by cut worms as had two of the other plants that I had started from seed. Other than it being very annoying I was surprised that the plants were nice and green and actually looked like they were trying to start some little roots off the area where they had been cut off. I guess next year if I remember I will have to put a little bit of cardboard or something around the base of the plant down into the soil an inch or so to protect this from happening again.

·
Registered
11,970 Posts
Wow, I totally forgot I used to use cardboard and paper milk carton for this but at an unknown date in the past just stopped doing that.
I have had little trouble with cut worms but it is amazing how one can just stop doing something you did for years and not know why.:tango_face_surprise

1 - 2 of 2 Posts