Graybeard Outdoors banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a mid 70's to late 70's CVA 50 cal muzzle loader. does anybody know what rate of twist they have? I need to load sabots with metal jacket bullets because of california lead-free hunting regulations :( and need to know what weight of bullet it will stabilize. thanks for any advice.

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
The easy way. Run a tight patched rod all the way in. Mark the rod on top at the point it leaves the muzzle. SLOWLY pull it out. The rod will rotate in the rifling. When the mark rotates to the bottom stop. Measure and multiply by 2. That is your twist. Non toxic round ball. They sell sabots also. Roundballs-ballisticproducts.com

·
Registered
869 Posts
It could be either 1:48, or 1:66, depending on the model.
The Gun Digest Black Powder loading manual shows three different 50 cal, the Frontier Rifle, The Hawken Rifle, and an Over/Under Rifle, all three of which have 1:66 twists, were tested with a .490 ball/ .015 pillowticking patch, and were allowed a maximum powder charge of 90 gre FFG OR 90grs Pyrodex RS. A 1:66 twist is a round ball twist, but a 200 gr or lighter saboted bullet should work also.

Your restriction against lead would leave you with having to choose between a sabot/200gr or lighter pistol bullet made of copper, or check out Ballistic Products website for a non-lead round ball substitute.

Ballistic Products was my source for various shotgun components, but I remember them advertising a substitute metal round ball which was soft enough to allow muzzleloading in just such areas as you describe. I can't say for sure if it found favor and is still on the menu, but I do remember it as being fairly expensive when compared to lead round ball.

California has you in a spot, and if you want to play the game those are all I know of. Hope it helps you out.

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Forgot you are new to GBO. Welcome! Post a lot! --- Just a heads up. A few years back I got "talked to" By a member for using the word "sabot" on the "Traditional " board. I do understand why. (Is not a patched round ball a sabot?)

·
Registered
869 Posts
I missed it too! Sorry!

Welcome to gbo! Obviously we take care of our own here.
Welcome aboard!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you all for your advice! yes I'm new here and also new at the muzzle loader game. I might have to pass this deer season, too much work finding the right pistol bullet, the rate of twist so they get stabilized, etc. the reason I picked black powder was for the simplicity!!! this is a great forum with good people willing to help the newbies:)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts