Graybeard Outdoors banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
496 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi:

Has anyone seen the CZ 550 American bolt action rifle? What is your opinion of it? Qualty? Fit and finish? Warranty?

Thanks,

·
Registered
142 Posts
I bought one back in March of this year. It is currently at the gunsmith being bedded and getting a trigger job. The stock on mine was touching on the left side which (I think) was producing shotgun patterns (4-5 in. groups at 100 yds). This really frustrated me as I wanted it for coyote hunting (.243). As for the fit and finish, it is a decent value for the money but the stock is not the same quality as my Rem. 700 ADL. The stock is pretty square in the area around the magazine making other choices better for smaller framed adults/kids. However, the gun does offer many things I like. It comes with a single-stage set trigger...It's nice but had a long(er) pull. The trigger guard is machined all steel which you won't find on a Remington or Winchester (uses MIM parts). The bolt can be taken apart much like a Winchester and the CZ has a nice recoil pad. The sling swivel studs in mine are not very tight...Therefore, my sling would rotate around when walking with it slung on my shoulder. I should have mine back from the gunsmith in the next couple weeks. I'll try and post what kind of groups I'm getting then. As for loading, you cannot load the magazine (on .22-250, .243 and .308) without pulling the magazine out and loading then....In other words, it can't be loaded like an A-Bolt. As for warranty, I have never used them and figured a bedding job would help more than sending back to CZ. I have heard warranty with them is hit and miss.

P.S. My CZ 452 American (.22lr) is what prompted me to buy the CZ550. I can't say enough good things about it and its accuracy. For $300, I've never had more fun and enjoyment out of a firearm. I was a little disappointed with the CZ 550 after seeing what it was doing in terms of accuracy.

One last thing, would I buy the 550 again knowing what I know now? I think not as I would have gone with something more reputable in terms of accuracy....Remington or Tikka. However, I was trying to save a few $$$ and it is costing me the same now as if I had bought a Remington. As for the CZ 452, it's a definite buy again.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I have a 550 in 270 and a 527 in 223. I like them better than anything in that price range. As a matter of fact, I have a pretty new Kimber 84m in 308 and I prefer the CZ's to it and it cost a lot more. I can not see what is not to like about the CZ 500. It has the best trigger on the market a nice walnut classic style stock and all steel bottom. Both of mine shoot great. In fact the last two three shot groups I shot with the 550 was with 140 grain nosler ballistic tips and they measured .186 and .367. I have never had any thing shoot better. I think you would be happy with the 500 . Good luck-vernonp

·
Registered
47 Posts
I have a CZ 550 "Premium" in .270 and really like it. I topped it with a Leupold 3X9 and it shoots great!

The set trigger takes some getting used to and I wouldn't recommend it's use during hunting but at the range it works really well. When in "set" mode, the trigger is extremely light (18oz or so) but when unset it still has one of the nicer triggers I've seen on a factory rifle.

The wood is Turkish walnut and with CZ's it's hit or miss on whether you get good figuring or not. However that never mattered to me as I'm mor into how the gun shoots than how it looks.

the action is pure Mauser and on mine the bolt came jeweled. Barrel length is 23.5".

Also the scope rings attach directly to the receiver similar to Rugers set up.

I imagine it will shoot with any rifle out there too!

·
Registered
113 Posts
I have a 5 cz's and a 6th on the way. I have traded my rem 700 vssf 22/250 in on a cz varmint 550 laminate 22/250 as I just personally can't stand the feel of a rem 700 action in comparison to my cz rifles. My cz's are good shooters.

I don not like the feel of the stuff rem use for there trigger guard and bottom metal as well.

I will be getting more cz's thatis how much I like them.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts