Graybeard Outdoors banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have shot my Remmy 700 ADL for years, nice wood stock, and has held an accurate group, with minimal sighting in , for years and years......but I have recently acquired a CZ 527 in a 204 caliber, and I absolutely love the way it shoots and feels. And the accuracy, well, lets just say it is one of the best shooting guns I own. My question is...are any of you CZ folks former Remington shooters.....mainly, has anyone compared the 550 CZ to a 700 series Remmy.??? My son is due a larger caliber gun......and that 308 in a 550 American would be a great round. Just looking for opinions, and honest comparisons...that's all.

·
Premium Member
335 Posts
Ponydog,
I've got a CZ550 american in 30-06, and a Remington 700 CDL in 35 whelen. Not exact comparison but close. The CZ550's stock seems bigger and overall the gun seems heaver than the CDL. I personnally think the CDL fits me better although the CZ is not bad. I do like the set trigger of the CZ but have forgotten to use it when shooting game. The CDL trigger is OK but can be adjusted some for improvements. Recoil pad is probably better on the CDL. Fit and finish are about the same, but the CZ is the pretty blue and the CDL is matte. I give the CDL a slight edge in the action smoothness, but not by much. Accuracy wise, both are good, but my CZ is slightly better.
Overall, to me, both are about the same, for the above comparison.
thanks,
Deerandduck

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your facts......and opinions.....I don't wanna break my passion for Remington....because all the deer I have taken , have been with my 700 ADL.....if it ain't broke, don't fix it .....right? But when I was able to actually put a CZ in my hands BEFORE I bought one, and shoot it versus a Savage , and a Sako......well like you said....the "fit" for me, was the CZ in a Varmint rifle. better than the Sako or the Savage. The Sako stock...was like a piece of plastic I had on my first Crossman pellet gun forearm......I asked the guy, and he said yeah , it's wood....??? Beats me.....all I knew was, the CZ was better to me. Anyway, NOW , I gotta find a guy with a 550 at the range....and beg to shoot it.....just to compare with my 700 , I'll let him shoot my 270 as well.....then we'll swap notes. And I can walk away with an experience, not a magazine article.....like I did when I chose my CZ in a 204. Hope more chime in .....yall's experience, is better advice, than anything I might read.
Thanks again

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
Ponydog ; I was searching for some info on the very questions you had. I've had a .270 Rem ADL since '93'. It is a highly accurate rifle, no doubt about that. I gave it to my son, and kinda hate to see it go. So started searching for another REM .270, and then decided to look elsewhere. Been looking at the CZ 500's and the 527's. Really would like to go with a lighter report and recoil for coyotes. Not much interested in deer these days. The .22 Hornet may be to light for me. Have to get caught up on this .204, don't know anything about them. Don't think I want a caliber higher than a .223.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Four Bee

Let me tell you , if you do get the chance.....shoot that 527 in a 204. You won't leave the store without one. It is just an amazingly accurate, and comfortable round, that gets out there. 300 yards and in , and that coyote , is yours. And sure...you need to shoot for practice at 300 yards...I have , and after awhile....you can get comfortable with that distance....I have. Just my 2 cents. I will never sell my 204.

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
:) 300 yards ! I've definitely got to read up on the .204. I've only done that once with the .270 Rem 700 at roughly 325 yards. Snapped his back in two. He was moving so it was a whole lot of luck, with a touch of experience.

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Remember,
The 550 is a control feed and the 700 is a push feed so the CZ action will feel a little stiffer.

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
:) I don't think a guy would notice one way or the other about bolt stiffness when the shootin starts. The one thing he would notice is with controlled feeding he may not be able to drop a round into the receiver and expect it to load as easy as a push feed.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I've owned both:

Rem 700 VLS - .308

CZ 550 Premium - .270 Win

Remington had 26" heavy barrel so it would shoot itty bitty groups with 5 rds. The CZ will shoot itty bitty groups for about 3 rds. The rem had a monte carlo stcok so I really liked the way it brought my eye in line with the scope.

I don't know what all the talk is about CZ's having rough bolts, mine is slick when loaded with rounds in the magazine. Empty, you can feel the bolt rub against the follower. Also, the CZ will probably have a better trigger out of the box and it is also user adjustable.

I like 'em both, but they are quite different in feel. Try both and get the one that feels the best to you.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts