Graybeard Outdoors banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
677 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thought about this gun as a good tree stand gun, and it sure looks great to me. However I have heard the finish work is not to good. Also the safety works backwards, saftey forward and shoot back. This saftey issue isn't one I don't want to have to deal with when you have to react to a big buck flying thru the shooting lane. I don't know how they shoot and all my other rifles do the saftey just the normal way. Anybody have experience with CZ, especially the Mannlicher? Thanks Buckfever

·
Registered
194 Posts
I have some CZ experience to share.

:D Buckfever, the CZ 550 Full Stock is one of the neatest little rifles I have seen. I own a CZ 550 American in 7x57mm and my brother liked mine so well, he had to have a CZ of his own, in the same caliber. Then I showed him a photo of the fullstock and he fell in love with it. Some say the bolts cycle rough. What I did with mine, with my brothers, with a second CZ 550 Full Stock in 7x57mm that a friend of my brother's bought when he saw Duffy's rifle, and a CZ 550 American in 9.3x62 that I got for Duffy as well, it does not feel any better, nor any worse than most of the other production rifles. Besides, if you work the bolt over and over again, like I did with all of the above, any roughness goes away. I glassbedded the action and freefloated the barrel on my CZ 550 American and a CZ 527 in .223 Remington that I put in a drop-dead georgeous chocolate-fudge looking CZ aftermarket American Walnut stock, simply because I wanted to do it. My 7mm is now a half-minute of angle three-shot group rifle, but it was a decent shooter before. I just like to glassbed my rifles. Like my brother, I had the bolt handle polished and the bolt jeweled with a small heringbone patter. I refinished the stock. CZ uses what I call elephant snot for a finish. It is tougher than snot and a booger to get off. However, some CZ stocks are drop dead beautiful but the true beauty of them is hidden under the finish. Besides, the more I work with my rifle, the better I get to know it and to me that should be a primary objective in the first place. I refinished with 12 repititions of GB Lindspeed oil and did an outstanding job of it. Duffy did the same to his rifle and that takes a lot of work, primarily getting the darn CZ finish off. Duffy did not glassbed his rifle. The wood-to-metal finish is good, just make sure the stock screws are tight. Yes, the safety is backwards if you look at it from a Ruger point of view, but then, if you look at it from CZ's point-of-view, the CZ is the correct configuration and every one else is backwards. The point it, it is like chewing gum and walking at the same time. It is no big deal and neither is the safety. I have no problem remembering what rifle I have when I am out in the woods and really have no problem at all with the safety. Bottom line, my brother's CZ full stock and his buddy's full stock are tack drivers. Using my handloads of 160 grain Nosler Partition over H414 powder, the thing squirts the bullets out of the barrel at 2,645 fps and will put three rounds into a .75 inch group all day long with proper coooling. His buddy uses his to pop the heads of wild turkey in Texas on the King Ranch at 150+ yards. I would imagine that .30/06 is going to have some muzzle blast, but I did not find it objectional in the 7x57mm when compared to my 7x57mm side-by-side. If you decide on one, you might consider going to GunBroker.com on the internet, type in CZ 550 on the search engine and most of the rifles you will see there will be from Ton80, who is out of Atlanta, Ga., or thereabouts. He charges $25 shipping and handling and I think has increased the prices to $479 for the regular CZs, but it will be more for the full stock versions. The problem with this way is, you cannot pick and chose the best stock, only ask Phil, the owner, to do it for you. That little Leupold VariX-1 in 3x9 would make one heck of a value. I would recommend getting your rings from Talley. The CZs are solid as a rock, and built like a tank. I think either Burris or Leupold is offering rings for the CZ 550s as well, but not entirely sure on that. The rifles are very well made and a huge deal for the money. Of course, after saying all this and writing this small disertation, any manufacurer can turn out a lemon, the thing is, you just don't hear of people posting on the net about CZ lemons, or if they are, the postings are very far, and few, between. Good luck... hope this has been of some help and sorry about the long post. Tom Purdom

·
Registered
2,587 Posts
Not to distract from the overall rifle at all, I think a safety that works backwards to what you are accustomed to is an accident waiting to happen.
Is there an aftermarket safety that can be installed or can the factory safety be changed to work in a standard "safe-back, fire-forward"??

·
Registered
86 Posts
the CZ's are great. I have had one for a while and Dad ended up buying one. I don't think the safety is a problem -least it isn't for me. Until you mentioned it I never even realized it was "backwards". There are enough differences between the location \ feel \usage in safeties of various manufacturers to make each unique. I never came close to confusing safety on\off. I just know when I bolt a round, safety gets switched.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts