Graybeard Outdoors banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
24,482 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
People are eating these things flower and all in salads. Even growing then in there home gardens.

·
Registered
191 Posts
I have heard of making and eating dandelion greens, but not the whole thing. If they get sick maybe then they will get a clue.

·
Premium Member
3,452 Posts
We do a few dandelion salads every spring, very tasty! But you need to get them in the spring before they get too bitter. Another good weed to eat is milkweed pods.

·
Premium Member
5,138 Posts
when i was young, my great uncle made dandelion wine.
I have heard of that and also using them in salad. I also see on some of the life below zero shows that they make a fire weed salad I don't know what that weed is though. The fellow who lived alone on twin lakes in Alaska for 35 years mentioned fire weed salad with his meals.

Deaconllb

·
Registered
9,714 Posts
When I was a kid we ate a lot of cooked dandelion greens in the spring. Like buckskin said get them early, before they flower or they will be bitter.

·
Premium Member
5,138 Posts
What we have here in the spring in Oklahoma is wild onion feeds, the natives really love them. They come up all over the place and people make a day of gathering them.

Deaconllb

·
Registered
5,939 Posts
The only thing I do with dandelions is spray them with weed-be-gone as soon as I find them. **** things will take over everything.

·
Registered
11,970 Posts
The only thing I do with dandelions is spray them with weed-be-gone as soon as I find them. **** things will take over everything.
I spray them when I am lazy or do not have the time but pulling them works best; sad thing is if I pulled them early in the yearmost of the plant is edible.

·
Registered
2,916 Posts
What we have here in the spring in Oklahoma is wild onion feeds, the natives really love them. They come up all over the place and people make a day of gathering them.

Deaconllb
i PA, we call wild onions "ramps". they are gooooooooooooooooooooooooooood!!!!!!!!!!!!! but the next morning you stink. i have showered 4 - 5 times and i stink. it comes out of your pores.:tango_face_crying::tango_face_devil:

·
Registered
5,939 Posts
I spray them when I am lazy or do not have the time but pulling them works best; sad thing is if I pulled them early in the yearmost of the plant is edible.

I'm not the least bit interested in eating a dandelion. All I want is for everyone of them around me being dead,dead, dead. I've never had one survive a little squirt of weed-be-gone and I don't have to bend over to apply it. At my age bending over or crawling around on my knees is something I try to do as little of as I can because it hurts.

·
Premium Member
3,452 Posts
Ramps are good, I find them looking for morels in the spring. Kind of a garlic/onion flavor. Great addition to a brazed roast!

·
24,482 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I'm not the least bit interested in eating a dandelion. All I want is for everyone of them around me being dead,dead, dead. I've never had one survive a little squirt of weed-be-gone and I don't have to bend over to apply it. At my age bending over or crawling around on my knees is something I try to do as little of as I can because it hurts.
I'm still afraid to try it, what if ours are different or something like that? The rabbits don't seem to eat them.
Or i never see where they have.

·
Premium Member
3,452 Posts
A dandelion is a dandelion, no need to be scared of them.

·
Registered
11,970 Posts
I'm still afraid to try it, what if ours are different or something like that? The rabbits don't seem to eat them.
Or i never see where they have.
There are no 'merican Dadelions, they all came from over seas, and you can now buy seeds from garden centers for ones that get BIG.

·
Registered
352 Posts
I've eaten the greens when young in a salad mix or on a sandwich. Not bitter.

Prolly better than some of the produce that it is purchased locally.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts