Graybeard Outdoors banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
732 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wow, what a book.

We have been discussing this in Sunday School for about six months now and are just on chapter nine.

It has a lot of symbolism which is difficult to interpret but we have a good instructor to help make it easier.

Any thoughts on Daniel and his life?

·
Registered
2,087 Posts
well i've not really studied it but from what i've read i think you put it best

WOW

·
Registered
729 Posts
"Daniel, a book in the Old Testament of the Bible, is listed with the Major Prophets by Christians and with the Writings (Ketuvim) by the Jews. It comprises six stories of the trials of Daniel and his companions while they served at the court of Babylon, as well as four visions of the end of the world. The book takes its name, not from the author, who is actually unknown, but from its hero, a 6th century Jew. Internal evidence indicates that the book was written during the Maccabean wars (167 - 164 BC).

Daniel is a form of Apocalyptic Literature rather than prophecy; it is cast in symbolic imagery about the end of time and is attributed to an earlier authority. The book was intended to encourage Jews in the face of religious persecution by the Hellenistic kingdom of the Seleucids and their Jewish sympathizers. Daniel contains the only certain Old Testament reference to bodily Resurrection, presents a form of the Son of Man tradition influential in the Gospel traditions about Jesus Christ, and was a primary source for the visions of the New Testament Book of Revelation."

Many compare the style of the Book of Daniel to the Book of Relevlation.
Wonder who wrote it?
At any rate the most important question is where'd ya git the neat handle?
Specklebelly. Good 'n.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Daniel was a teenager when he was taken captive and was taken to Babylon where he stayed more that 60 years..during this time he was a great prophet and he was in his 80's when he received the vision of the prophecy of the 70 weeks..it is in chapter 9.. he was also an adviser in the courts and faced many challenges..from his youth he was determined to live by God's law..you remember he prayed when he was told not to and they threw him in the lion's den but God saved him..
the book of revelation could not be understood if it wasn't for the writings of daniel..
to me the book of Daniel is an important part of the Bible not just the Old Test..

·
Registered
732 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Great information on a good book.

jeager106 said:
At any rate the most important question is where'd ya git the neat handle?
Specklebelly. Good 'n.
My favorite waterfowl is the White Fronted goose, also known as the "Specklebelly". Nothing like seeing those bright orange feet flying over the decoys. :eek:

Thought it was fitting for my name. :-D

·
Premium Member
5,343 Posts
There are several passages in the book of Daniel that indicate that Daniel himself was indeed the author. "...in the first year of his reign, I, Daniel, understood from the scriptures..." (9:2); "At that time I, Daniel, mourned for three weeks." (10:2); "I, Daniel, was the only one who saw the vision..." (10:7) are but a few of the verses in the book of Daniel that clearly identify Daniel as the author.

It is widely believed the book was probably completed around 530 b.ca., shortly after the capture of Babylon by Cyrus in 539 b.c. Daniel was amongst the first group of exiles taken captive by King Nebuchadnezzar in 605 b.c.

The theological theme of the book is God's sovereignty: "The Most High God is sovereign over the kingdoms of men" (5:12). Daniel's visions always show God as triumphant. (7;11,26-27;8:25;9:27;11:45;12:13).

1 - 7 of 7 Posts