Graybeard Outdoors banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got the 17 FB ready for Coyotes today, sighted in at 100 yards and put the last five shots down range to see how it would group. If I could get rid of the vertical stringing on this gun it would give me some fairly good groups, Any suggestions that are not in the FAQ's? Larry

·
Banned
766 Posts
HAHAHAHAa Your just breaking our hearts here Larry ....

Good shooting brother,

·
Premium Member
4,705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I am sort of simi-serious, if I could get rid of the vertical component I would have a nice .2 inch five shot 100 yard group. Larry

·
Registered
658 Posts
Don't know what to tell you Larry. I do know one thing for certain though, that is a darn nice group and I am sure beyond my capabilities.

Larry

·
Banned
766 Posts
True , Though nevertheless a damn fine group by just about anyones standards and as for minute of yote well ... Yeah .. I'm afraid that i cant contribute any help to better that group brother.

·
Premium Member
2,231 Posts
From a bench rest point of view, try modifying the powder charge just a bit, just a whisker on the powder measure can stop the vertical string. By the way do you weigh every charge or throw with a measure? Every bench shooter that I know throws a charge instead of weighing them. Most of them cannot even tell you how much their favorite sub .0010 group weighs but can tell you exactly where the measure is set .
For the record most of the VERY expensive rifles around would be hard pressed to do as good a job as your Handi!!!!!!!
Excellent shooting and craftsmanship !!!!!!!!! ;D ;D ;D

·
Premium Member
4,705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I weigh the charges, not that I think it is better but I just don't have a powder dispenser and I do have a scales. I am kind of thinking this is just something that cannot be totally gotten rid of in any of the break open rifles no matter what you do with them. It also could be that I just changed where the bags hit the forearm by a quarter inch, but it sure would have been fun to get the same group vertically as it is horizontal. I have a Savage 10 in 17 Remington that will do almost as well, no vertical stringing but about a half inch group from a cold clean barrel. It is fun when things come together. Larry

·
Registered
235 Posts
trotterlg said:
Got the 17 FB ready for Coyotes today, sighted in at 100 yards and put the last five shots down range to see how it would group.  If I could get rid of the vertical stringing on this gun it would give me some fairly good groups,  Any suggestions that are not in the FAQ's?  Larry

It's quite obvious, you didn't use enough SUPER GLUE when you fastened the barrel to the stub! ;D
And another thing... switch to oyster crackers instead of dimes and your stringing problem will disappear immediately!:)

·
Registered
2,087 Posts
flyer or not you still have vertical stringing, great groups and i dont know if they will get much better then that, but you and i are just alike we can never settle for almost perfect i would go to your shooting style and stocks. you need to make sure the gun is recoiling straight back everything .some kind of factory rest that your gun fits snug but not tightly and do not go with a lead sled or anything like it . any rest with a back at the rear end will make your groups vertical string the abrupt stop when firing makes you muzzle kick up , same thing when shooting from your shoulder . try using the free recoil method of firing.

not saying this has to be the reason your getting the groups you are just something to look at.

·
Premium Member
3,428 Posts
Damn fine group, Larry. Shows your craftsmanship at work. That and the fact you ain't to bad a shot yourself. ;) DP

·
Premium Member
4,632 Posts
Damn fine shooting. It says a lot about the rifle, the loads and the rifleman. It could be many different things, Larry. I think it might have some thing to do with lock up consistency, but it might also have to do with powder weight or even some other factor. The 17 FB has a fairly small capacity case and even .1 grain can make a difference. I am not talking about variance I am talking about increasing or decreasing the powder charge by that much. When you get groups down that small, it is important that every thing is exactly[/color] the same from shot to shot, including barrel harmonics and lock up. That is very good shooting - that most guys would be thrilled with. I know the feeling that when you get a good group - is there some thing that I could do better. When you get down that small, it takes paying close attention to details. That is when the bench rest crowd's work becomes important. Not going from 1" to 3/4". Have you weighed and sorted your cases, uniformed the primer pockets, de-flashed the primer holes, weighed bullets - the list can go on and on. Have you tried different primers that may or may not be a solution - a different primer can help or hurt. While I prefer Remington 7 1/2 primers, most of the Benchrest guys like the CCI BR4 or Federal 205M primers. Just keep in mind - It is very difficult to decrease groups as small as yours because it takes very, very little difference between shots to open a perfect 1 hole group to one that looks like yours (which isn't any thing to sneeze at). Good Luck and Good Shooting

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.