Graybeard Outdoors banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9,714 Posts
Pathetic is a good description. There isn't very much racing anymore, it's just who can wreck who first!

·
22,201 Posts
Im a nascar fan. I watched it. I was flat out amazed. When that wreck happened and ryans car took that direct hit right on his driver side window and roof I looked at my wife and said hes dead. No way could he survive a hit like that. Two days later he walked out of the hospital without even a broken bone. Sorry spruce but if that aint racing and doesn't take a GIANT set then I aint no yopper! People don't sit and think about the fact there driving 200 mph inches away from each other right on the ragged edge of loosing control for 500 miles. Most of us are wiped if we drive 500 miles in one day and a couple times I had my vettes up to 150 and it was on a back road straight away and it about takes two lanes to do it. Add 50 mph and guys on 3 sides of you a foot away and I cant imagine the skill and mental concentration it takes to do that for 500 miles. Compare that to a foot ball player that plays a 2 hour game and out of that 2 hours is probably moving at most 30 minutes or a quarterback that throws 30 passes and cant be touched by the apposing team or they get penalized and makes 10 million dollars a year!!. Or a lineman that biggest mental job is "ME HIT DAT GUY" Sorry but its racing and racers today ARE ATHELETES! They don't smoke cigarettes during pit stops or run the still on Monday. They train as hard as any athlete and even Richard petty once said theres no way he or anyone back when you competed could run with the athletes that are racing today. Most who came up through the ranks and ran more races before they became nascar drivers then the old timers did in there whole carreer. What they aren't anymore is good old boys running shine cars. There RACERS. Just look at that race. It takes a set to go out there and do that. Not only that but after 500 miles at 200 mph the race ends with the winner winning by the width of a front bumper and not 20 feet between the top 5 cars. Even Ryans that crossed the line upside down! NO SPORT takes more balls to participate in. Only one that comes close is cage fighting.

·
23,845 Posts
I've tried watchin nascar. Not enough wrecks to keep my attention.

·
Registered
9,714 Posts
If you like spectacular wrecks then Daytona and Talledaga are the races to watch. Most of the rest of the race is just guys trying to stay in line and hoping nobody else screws up and causes a crash.

I just happen to enjoy the racing action on the short tracks like Bristol and Martinsville a lot more.

No question about their courage or fitness.

·
Registered
19,178 Posts
NO SPORT takes more balls to participate in. Only one that comes close is cage fighting.
I like most kinds of racing and mma cage fighting, but, my choice for danger is bull riding.
You strap yourself to the back of a 2000 pound athletic bull with big horns and try to stay on his back for 8 seconds, and when you hit the dirt, in many cases the bull turns and tries to kill you.
Between 1989 and 2009, 16 cowboys were killed by their bull, and 11 of those were wearing flak jackets.
Plus most of the bull riders have had most of their bones broken before they retire.
That's my story and I'm sticking to it.:tango_face_grin:

Edit to add; One of the former crew chiefs said that if you could run as fast as a race car, you could run up behind it and with your bare hands spin it out.
So yes, at 200 mph you are riding a thin edge.

·
Registered
11,969 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Most who came up through the ranks -- That is bs NASCAR wants people to believe, those days are long gone, while the old timer often ran more that one race a week on shorthard to drive dirt tracks, traveled hundreds of miles a week pulling a car on an open trailer and fixing it between races. The only thing that comes close is those that came from a sprint car background where that still happens -- and ran more races before they became nascar drivers then the old timers did in there whole carreer. What they aren't anymore is good old boys running shine cars. There RACERS. Just look at that race. It takes a set to go out there and do that. Not only that but after 500 miles at 200 mph the race ends with the winner winning by the width of a front bumper and not 20 feet between the top 5 cars. Even Ryans that crossed the line upside down! NO SPORT takes more balls to participate in. Only one that comes close is cage fighting.
NO sprint car racing is still the most dangerous and difficult , excepting Isle of Man bike racers, where drivers still die .

There was recently an article on a online racing site that stated -- NASCAR would have happened without moonshine boys, as Bill France never was involved with moon shine but he was -- a racer --who decided that the disorganized schedule of local races being run should be structured in in some degree so he started to do that, but they milked Junior Johnson who did run moonshine for every penny he was worth.

NASCAR was just a regional series competing with others till the eighties, when Winston made a big difference. From there is snow balled.
The fact he built Daytona, and put a road race course in it and scheduled a road race to rival LeMans, drawing race fans who had little interest in stock cars put him , his track and his Daytona races in the headlines.

Current drives are in much better physical condition, most anyway, but they are rich boys with daddies with big bucks, and sponsors with bigger bucks.
They did not come up on dirt tracks and riggamugig racers like so many of those, who racing even into the eighties did.
Some working a full time job, while racing local tracks on weekends.

But they DO now have cool suits, air conditioning, run-flat tires, etc., etc. that make what they do far, far, far easier that anything into the eighties.

They are rich boys , with rich boys incomes, and often rich daddies who are members in NASCAR or have connections.
The cars are not hard to drive; driving in traffic without screwing up is where the talent comes in.
At age 73 Paul Newman took to one of Hendricks cars for six laps at Daytona 1999 and ran a 49.15, Hendricks team drivers were lapping at 49.05

When Tom Cruise did his racing movie he did do some actual SCCA road racing and when given a top line NASCAR stock car to drive laps on an empty Charlotte lapped at 166 in a car he had never driven before in a year when top qualifying speed was 173 the track owner Humpy Wheeler was amazed.

Natural talent comes into play but the cars now are easier to drive than they were twenty to thirty years ago.
It is the asinine forced chassis and bodies that makes them so accident prone; do to day at 190 mph what you would have gotten away with in the past and the car will go ass over head , quickly.
Racers have often said that at speed you do not feel you are going fast, it actually seems slow, the difference is the rate the horizon approaches but you soon adjust to that.
The cars next to you are at your speed, or close, so passing is no different from passing a car on a highway.

The rules NASCAR has forced on builders, and simple dork moves are the reason for the wrecks.
If the drivers had to pay to fix their own cars as many drivers the sixties into the seventies did, the crash fests would be fewer.
Oh yes, NASCAR still allows relief drivers, so if a car wins, who ever started the car gets the win, even if he drives one lap.

·
22,201 Posts
yup rodeo is another one that's REAL!
I like most kinds of racing and mma cage fighting, but, my choice for danger is bull riding.
You strap yourself to the back of a 2000 pound athletic bull with big horns and try to stay on his back for 8 seconds, and when you hit the dirt, in many cases the bull turns and tries to kill you.
Between 1989 and 2009, 16 cowboys were killed by their bull, and 11 of those were wearing flak jackets.
Plus most of the bull riders have had most of their bones broken before they retire.
That's my story and I'm sticking to it.:tango_face_grin:

Edit to add; One of the former crew chiefs said that if you could run as fast as a race car, you could run up behind it and with your bare hands spin it out.
So yes, at 200 mph you are riding a thin edge.

·
22,201 Posts
ya but when tom cruise or paul newman did it was there cars on 3 sides of them 6 inches away and the mental strain of doing just that wide open for 500 miles!!! Now granted paul newman might be an exception or at least close because he has done some professional racing but hes sure not going to run the Daytona 500. Just keep in mind that most drivers are done before they turn 40 because there reflexs just aren't what they are when there in there 20s and can no longer compete. If you want an example of that just look at how Jimmy Johnson has lost it in the last couple years.

I do agree that many of them today are silver spoon babys. But not all of them. Many still work there way up through the different racing venues. But the big difference between now and then is today there athletes. Last week Jimmy Johnson ran a marathon the day before that race. I once saw Richard Petty interviewed and he said theres no way in the physical condition he was in when he was young could he compete with the drivers today. These aren't guys who have jobs or run shine all week and slap on a helmet on sunday. They train to race every day. The work out every day and most of them are driving a race car or a simulator every day. The level of competition in nascar today DEMANDS that.
NO sprint car racing is still the most dangerous and difficult , excepting Isle of Man bike racers, where drivers still die .

There was recently an article on a online racing site that stated -- NASCAR would have happened without moonshine boys, as Bill France never was involved with moon shine but he was -- a racer --who decided that the disorganized schedule of local races being run should be structured in in some degree so he started to do that, but they milked Junior Johnson who did run moonshine for every penny he was worth.

NASCAR was just a regional series competing with others till the eighties, when Winston made a big difference. From there is snow balled.
The fact he built Daytona, and put a road race course in it and scheduled a road race to rival LeMans, drawing race fans who had little interest in stock cars put him , his track and his Daytona races in the headlines.

Current drives are in much better physical condition, most anyway, but they are rich boys with daddies with big bucks, and sponsors with bigger bucks.
They did not come up on dirt tracks and riggamugig racers like so many of those, who racing even into the eighties did.
Some working a full time job, while racing local tracks on weekends.

But they DO now have cool suits, air conditioning, run-flat tires, etc., etc. that make what they do far, far, far easier that anything into the eighties.

They are rich boys , with rich boys incomes, and often rich daddies who are members in NASCAR or have connections.
The cars are not hard to drive; driving in traffic without screwing up is where the talent comes in.
At age 73 Paul Newman took to one of Hendricks cars for six laps at Daytona 1999 and ran a 49.15, Hendricks team drivers were lapping at 49.05

When Tom Cruise did his racing movie he did do some actual SCCA road racing and when given a top line NASCAR stock car to drive laps on an empty Charlotte lapped at 166 in a car he had never driven before in a year when top qualifying speed was 173 the track owner Humpy Wheeler was amazed.

Natural talent comes into play but the cars now are easier to drive than they were twenty to thirty years ago.
It is the asinine forced chassis and bodies that makes them so accident prone; do to day at 190 mph what you would have gotten away with in the past and the car will go ass over head , quickly.
Racers have often said that at speed you do not feel you are going fast, it actually seems slow, the difference is the rate the horizon approaches but you soon adjust to that.
The cars next to you are at your speed, or close, so passing is no different from passing a car on a highway.

The rules NASCAR has forced on builders, and simple dork moves are the reason for the wrecks.
If the drivers had to pay to fix their own cars as many drivers the sixties into the seventies did, the crash fests would be fewer.
Oh yes, NASCAR still allows relief drivers, so if a car wins, who ever started the car gets the win, even if he drives one lap.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts