Graybeard Outdoors banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Howdy Pard,

Well I'll jump in with my dos centavos. :grin:

Both are good for CAS. ( how's that for middle of the road) If you have been shooting pumps, the 97 will probably feel more familliar. The new shooter will probably be a little quicker with the 97.

Good, fast SxS shooters can keep up with good fast 97 shooters up to about 6 rounds. Then the 97 has the advantage.(sometimes)

I started with a SxS because I think it looks more "cowboy".

That being said, I just picked up a 97 that I will be shooting for the first time tomorrow.

I think it is safe to say that MOST of the top shooters are useing the 97.

If you want to get fast with a SxS you HAVE TO PRACTICE It is easier to single load the 97 than to load 2 into the SxS quickly.

Does any of this help? :-D Do you really care about a middle of the pack SxS shooters comments? :-D

Don't worry, in the long run you will probably have both!! :grin:

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well....I cut my teeth on a Winchester M12. :D

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Another choice is the Win 87, a lever action shotgun. Norinco is supposed to be importing them around the middle of the year. Right now the price is $321 including shipping (but I fully expect to see that climb as we get closer to actual delivery)
Not better or worse just another way to send shot down range.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Heyya

I started with a SXS cuz it was more cowboy to me. When all goes well, gettin the first two rounds in the chambers, and havin the unloading and the reloads go well, I can fire 4 rounds pretty fast. My opinion, over four rounds of shotgun the 97 has the advantage.

I just bought a used 97 norinco last friday. Shot it in a 8 stage match on Saturday, and a 10 stage match on Sunday. Having never fired one previous to the Saturday match I felt I did OK with it. Not great, just OK. The positive thing I found was that when you have the 97 shouldered and slam the slide forward it really points the muzzel at the target, very point shootin kinda, although I still use the bead. I prolly dint splain that very good, so if anyone else knows what I am talkin about please feel free to expound. I had not realized that this advantage exisited.

I started out grabbin two rounds, loadin one in the chamber and the second one over the top on the reload. Then grabbin two more. I progressed to grabbin three at a time and was successful with that. When I tried to grab four rounds, load the first in the chamber, fire, and load the next three over the top I seemed to have a "handfull". Fumbled a couple of rounds and dropped them . Four rounds will take more practice.

The way one loads their SXS can help stay up with the 97 too.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Hi All :D ....... I shoot the '97, load one in the top then one in the bottom ....does any one else load it that way and do you know how fast you can do 2 shots then 4 shots then 6 shots ??? :) How fast are the sxs guns doing the same thing , let's say with the gun leaning against a fence .... :) Thanks, Keokotah

·
Registered
110 Posts
I have owned both and I like the SXS better. It seems to me a 26" IC_MOD SXS is better for SASS than a 20" Cyl Bore '97. The choked gun is better on reactive targets and the occasional claybird.

Lone

·
Registered
111 Posts
Heyya

Starting with the shotgun staged on a bench, 6 seconds to fire four rounds, and 7.9 to 8.0 seconds to fire six rounds total. I must be at a
training block of some kind. I cannot lower those times,. I also find that SMOOTH is faster.

I have seen the top shooters fire six rounds in 4.9 to 5.0 seconds. I shot on the same posse as Lead Dispenser last weekend and wwatched him fire 4 rounds in about 3.75 to 4.5 seconds. He grabs four in his weak hand, and loads over the top.

Jax Orebetter, I care about middle of the pack stats. That is where I compete. Yet I would disagree with your comment of SXS staying with the 97 on 6 rounds. Four rounds I would agree with. But then I am a new guy so what do I know...only shot 10 matches.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Pecos,
There is no way I can keep up with a good 97 shooter for 6 rounds, I'd be lucky to keep up firing 4 to his 6. :shock: I do think it takes more practice with a double to be competitive with even an average 97 shooter.

That being said, a Pard I shot with in Orygun, Pale Wolf Brunell, is amazing to watch when he shoots a hammer double. That boy is fast!!

I have seen double shooters do 6 rounds in the 5.5-6 sec range. That is not the norm, but they are out there.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Heyya Jax

I do not dispute anything you have said in your last post. After my dismal first time showing with the 97 I know that more practice is needed.

Am I correct that a shooter can attack one stage with the 97 and another with a SXS? I have not tried that yet, just wonderin.

By the way, are you going to EOT?

·
Registered
114 Posts
Pecos,

There is no rule about changing guns from one stage to another, other than using the proper gun for the catagory you are signed up in. I have seen people with 2 shotguns, 2 rifles and/or 2 sets of pistols in their cart. Bring what you got, and shoot what you bring!! :-D

I'm not going to make EoT. I am hoping to make it next year. We just had too many things going on this year.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts