Graybeard Outdoors banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
24,776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My buddy turns 70 next spring and he's been using the word "death" and "dead" in communications a lot lately. I guess it's natural to contemplate one's mortality on the eve of a significant age milestone. I guess we'll just have to meet for breakfast or coffee more often so he knows he's much appreciated.

·
Registered
10,172 Posts
Conan said:
My buddy turns 70 next spring and he's been using the word "death" and "dead" in communications a lot lately. I guess it's natural to contemplate one's mortality on the eve of a significant age milestone. I guess we'll just have to meet for breakfast or coffee more often so he knows he's much appreciated.

I'm 75. Tell him at least one of us never noticed the difference between 69 and 70. I don't mind getting old. This busted up and worn out suks.

·
Registered
11,068 Posts
I remember the old TV show "Life begins at 80." I'm living the good life right now and if it gets even better at 80, I can't wait. I guess I'll just have to make do for about eight more years.

·
Registered
12,510 Posts
Conan said:
. . . . I guess we'll just have to meet for breakfast or coffee more often so he knows he's much appreciated.
this wouldn't hurt regardless of the circumstance ^ ^ ^

·
Premium Member
5,180 Posts
Age is just a number when I tell people I am 82 they say hope I look that good when I am 82 I am starting to feel my age though, I have to have my son help me load my deer in the truck now :)

Deaconllb

·
Registered
3,386 Posts
Ranger99 said:
Conan said:
. . . . I guess we'll just have to meet for breakfast or coffee more often so he knows he's much appreciated.
this wouldn't hurt regardless of the circumstance ^ ^ ^

Unless Conan complains as much about the food as he does here. ;) ;D

I've still got 8 to go before I see 70 but I'm here to tell ya it ain't the years but the use and abuse before you got there. Doc tells me I have the heart of a much younger man but he just shakes his head when I ask him about some of the other parts. ::)

·
Banned
3,717 Posts
I have a friend age 79 that is always griping about having to keep making trips into the city .....to check on his father. He was 100 last year. It is mostly genetics- the luck of the draw-- modified somewhat by environment.
My parents are both gone-- Mom at 59, Dad at 72. According to all estimates I should die between 81 & 83- about a 95% chance, if I avoid an accident. I turn 63 next week. Odds are there is a hip replacement in my future and a battle with one or more cancers. They both died of various forms of cancer. My wife is 5 years older and disabled, she had 2 rounds with breast cancer nearly 20 years ago, a knee, then hip replacement. She has severe arthritis and several other chronic disorders.
If you still are mobile and not in serious pain -you are lucky. Enjoy it while you can. I figure I have 10 -12 years left to do things I want to, followed by a few more watching. Morticians have to eat too you know, just like buzzards. No use to be unpleasant about it, if we all lived forever there would be no room and we would have to kill one another off for a place to stand. Take a number, take your turn, leave - pretty simple really.

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
well I will be 77 in February if I am still here. I have spent my last two birthdays in the hospital, hope I get to skip that this one. But at my age and poor health I can see myself going down steadily and there is no way to stop it or turn back the clock!
Death don't look near as scary as it did. My biggest fear is getting to the point I can't care for myself, hopefully death comes first. Don't get me wrong I am in no hurry to go, at present I am doing ok and still look forward to trying to fill my deer tag this year.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Thanks for the topic. It sorta puts things in perspective and reminds me that Death gives Life meaning. Meaning about how you live it. Randy thanks for the Pm, it does make a difference. I guess what it means is that we all just have to keep on keeping on. May God Bless each and every one of you and yours. Have a joyful season, Keeping Christ in Christmas.

Goofyoldfart aka Gof and Godfrey ;D ;)

·
Premium Member
11,075 Posts
goofyoldfart said:
Thanks for the topic. It sorta puts things in perspective and reminds me that Death gives Life meaning. Meaning about how you live it. Randy thanks for the Pm, it does make a difference. I guess what it means is that we all just have to keep on keeping on. May God Bless each and every one of you and yours. Have a joyful season, Keeping Christ in Christmas.

Goofyoldfart aka Gof and Godfrey ;D ;)
Godfrey, it was my pleasure! We all are getting up in age and its not for sissies! ;)

Thanks, Randy

1 - 12 of 12 Posts