Graybeard Outdoors banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First of all, I wanted to thank everyone for their opinions on the post "rookie looking for experienced opinions". Through some research I have decided to go with the 7mm-08. I have also chosen a gun that I think suits my needs and has what I was looking for. That gun would be the Remington Model 700 SPS DM. Now, for the scope I was going to purchase a SIMMONS Aetec with a 3.8-12x44 with a wide angle, adjustable objective,and an illuminated reticle for 219.99 out of the bass pro shops catalog. However, I would like to see what everyone would say and suggest. Again, it will be mostly a 100-300 yard shooter. "Bang for the buck" would be nice, and an illuminated reticle would be nice but not a necessity. Once again, I appreciate everyones time, efforts, and opinions.

·
Registered
399 Posts
I second PA Joe. I have a leupold compact on my Model 7 243. Great scope, paid about $240 new. It looks alot smaller when I hold it up to my regular Leupold 3X9X40. I matches the gun size perfect.

·
Registered
677 Posts
Nikon or Weaver Grand Slam

These scopes cost about the same as the one your looking at maybe afew bucks more. They are 40mm and gather more light at dawn and dusk. Also look at the Mueller at The Optic Zone. A lot scope for the money, again a 40mm. 7-mm-08 can shoot quite accurately out to 300yds plus, great gun I would put on a 40mm 3-9. IMHO Buckfever

·
Registered
2,587 Posts
You do not need an AO on a hunting scope. Just another whistle and bell to go wrong. I'll totally agree that a good 3x9x40 is the most you'll need. (and Yes Virginia, there are quality scopes out there other than Leupolds) I lean toward 2x7's and 1.5x6's myself but that's a personal thingy.

Put a nice 1.5x5 scope on a Model 7 and you have one trig looking rig.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Take a look at the Burris Fullfield II 3-9X40 with ballistic plex reticle. I've got one of these on my Rem 700 Mth LSS 7MM-08 and love it.

With the Ballistic Plex reticle, you sight in dead on at 100 Yds, with standard calibers, and then use the various hash marks (see image below) for 200Yds, 300YDs, etc. Sighted in dead on at 100Yds, I'm dead on at 200Yds using the first hash mark. (Haven't tried 300 Yds yet)

Go take a look through one. You'll be surprised at how bright they are. They are well worth the money, and I really like the B-Plex reticle.

firstshot
--------------------------------
Make your first shot count!

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
firstshot said:
With the Ballistic Plex reticle, you sight in dead on at 100 Yds, with standard calibers, and then use the various hash marks (see image below) for 200Yds, 300YDs, etc. Sighted in dead on at 100Yds, I'm dead on at 200Yds using the first hash mark. (Haven't tried 300 Yds yet)
Boy talk about a junked up reticule! You can do the same thing by sighting in at two hundred yards, and using the bottom of the coarse wire in a duplex redtcule at 400. You won't be too high at 100 or two low at 300 to make any difference. Besides to make those yardage assumptions, you need another piece of equipmnet , a range finder.

·
Registered
114 Posts
firstshot said:
Take a look at the Burris Fullfield II 3-9X40 with ballistic plex reticle. I've got one of these on my Rem 700 Mth LSS 7MM-08 and love it.

Go take a look through one. You'll be surprised at how bright they are. They are well worth the money, and I really like the B-Plex reticle.

firstshot
--------------------------------
Make your first shot count!
And right now, lots of places are offering a Burris Fullfield II 3x9 Matte finish (would match the SPS nicely) for around $200 including a set of Burris binoculars or a compact Burris spotting scope. They are not super high grade, but then again, they come free with the scope and are better than nothing. Check it outhttp://riflescopes.com/products/200162BIN/burris_3-9x40_fullfield_ii_rifle_scope.htm or here http://theopticzone.com/detail.aspx?ID=3413
I have 2 of the Burris Fullfield II Matte 3x9 scopes with the Ballistic Plex reticle and really like them. Can't be beat for the money.

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
I would go with Leupole 3x9x40. I have looked to 300yd while deer hunting and it was clear as anyone could ever want it. I ranged 300 yds first. That way I was sure of the range for shooting. :D

·
Registered
188 Posts
New Scope

OK, I will make my recommendation. First, I have purchased
one of the new to the market Mueller scopes, and I would not
be afraid to purchase a Mueller 3x9 40mm scope for a deer
rifle. But what I have on my .308 Win. chambered Browning
BAR LW Stalker, which is my "perfect" northern whitetail gun,
is a 2x7 32mm Bushnell 3200 Elite. It is very bright, and clear,
has decent eye relief, and FOV, and for real hunting conditions,
the RAINGUARD rocks.

I hunt in brushy conditions, where 50 to 125 yard shots are the
norm. Occasionally, I get a 250 yard shot, across a crop field,
and the 7x is plenty powerful enough to get me aiming small.
The 2x is great for the typical first weekend of the season, where
the deer are nervous, and likely moving fast. The real world
here does not look like the Outdoor Channel programs with the
trophy bucks just walking leisurely in open country, or light
cover. The big bucks in this part of the world, DO NOT break
cover, unless they are forced to, and then they have the
after burners kicked in. If these conditions match yours,
then I would highly recommend a 2-7x power scope. If your
conditions are more open country shooting, then a 3-9x
would be a better choice. Bushnell has a 2.5-10x 4200 Elite,
with a "fixed" objective, that will probably be my next
"open country" deer rifle scope. I have a 5.5-16.5x Nikon
on my long range deer rifle(Tikka M695 in .25-06 Rem), that
is crying for a 2.5-10x 4200 Elite. I have decided that deer
and elk hunting rifle scopes should not be adjustable
objective. That is just one more thing to have to fool with,
and to break, that one really does not need to have on a
big game hunting rifle. For colony varmints, and paper punching,
AO scopes are fine, but for most hunting situations, the last
thing I want to be doing is focusing my stupid scope.

Squeeze

·
Premium Member
10,748 Posts
Either the Leupold 2x7x33 or a 3x9x40 Leupold. :D

·
Registered
59 Posts
I have both the 2-7x33 Leupold VXII and the 3-9x40 Burris FFII. I prefer the Burris over the Leupold. They are both very good scopes, but I like the ballistic plex reticle better as well as the little extra magnification.

·
Registered
17 Posts
As mentioned on another post on this forum, I am enduring the ignorant 10 day waiting period here in CA on a new 7-08 myself.

I have purchased a new Remington 700 Mountain Rifle LSS. I already own a Remington 700VLS in 7-08 and wanted another rifle in this great caliber. Something I could carry around and hunt with as opposed to shooting paper and steel.

I was lucky in that I had an extra Leupold 2.5X8 scope sitting here gathering dust. I intend to install it on the 7-08 with Leupold dual dovetail bases and low rings. The 2.5X8 is a nice, small, scope. The optics are first rate. I really like the size on a small rifle like this.

The 2.5X8 Leupolds are tough and reliable. I own three and they have seen some hard use over the years. They offer pretty good magnification, are small and light, and have very good field of view.

R F

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
Randy Flowers said:
I was lucky in that I had an extra Leupold 2.5X8 scope sitting here gathering dust. I intend to install it on the 7-08 with Leupold dual dovetail bases and low rings. The 2.5X8 is a nice, small, scope. The optics are first rate. I really like the size on a small rifle like this.

The 2.5X8 Leupolds are tough and reliable. I own three and they have seen some hard use over the years. They offer pretty good magnification, are small and light, and have very good field of view.

R F
I agree. I took a 2.5-8X Leupold off of another rifle and mounted it on my 7mm-08 Savage 11FL. The scope is worth as much as the rifle, but it makes for a well balanced and very accurate package.

·
Registered
435 Posts
I have a Leupold Vari X III 3.5 x 10 x 40 on my Rem 7-08AI with a 20" bbl. It is mounted with low Leupold rings. Looks great on this rifle and shoots even better. I think that a compact is not necessary for your setup unless YOU want a compact scope, perhaps for some slight weight reduction. I think a standard 2x7, 3x9, or 3.5 x 10 in a VX-II or VX III would be a perfect choice.

Smoky

·
Registered
2,281 Posts
"The most bang for the buck" IMHO is a Nikon Monarch 3x9. About $150 less than a 2.5x8 VX III and just and bright and clear to me and my son.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I have a Burris FFII Bal. Plex. on my T3 Lite Stainless in 7-08 and it hit's dead on the marks. So far it seems like a great scope. Clear optics (better than price suggests, but not a Zeiss), no shift in POI, and the stainless scope looks great on the rifle. Can't complain.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts