Graybeard Outdoors banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i went today to a ceremony to dedicate some gravestone to civil war vets....here are some pictures:
the big boy was at Shiloh battle, has some grape shot muzzle damages :eek: and has been rummored to be wanted by a certain country singer. he has offered the owner 550K, and has been turned down!!! :eek:
anyways...here the bunch.....a couple of small repo's in there too....
enjoy~

the smoke was from a pound of powder from the mountain shiloh gun~~~~~~~~~~

·
Registered
3,286 Posts
Some great photo's!

I didn't know a member of ZZ Tops crewed Confederate artillery! ;D
[/color]

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
great Pics!

·
Registered
4,600 Posts
Kaintuck, those are some great photos. Does that Confederate Mountain rifle belong to your group? Is it 2.25" bore? Smooth bore or rifled? Thanks, Tracy and Mike

·
Premium Member
3,043 Posts
KABAR2 said:
Some great photo's!

I didn't know a member of ZZ Tops crewed Confederate artillery! ;D[/b][/color]
[/quote]

No kiddin ......I do like thehis hot rod ! "Shes got LEGS"

·
Registered
4,816 Posts
Thanks for the extra photos, there's no question this is a 12-pounder Confederate field howitzer by Quinby and Robinson of Memphis. I'd suspect it is the privately-owned piece, if it is being fired. NPS, who owns all the rest, no longer fires original pieces. It has been cleaned, probably chemically, as the normal patina is gone and the surface is quite rough. The registry or foundry number would normally be on the muzzle face but if it is I can't make it out for sure. There were eight of these Q&R specimens known at time of writing of TBG. One was privately owned, and there were two in Des Moines IA, two at Gettysburg, three at Shiloh. The total number of Confed. 12 pdr. field howitzers by all makers, listed in TBG, is 62, although a number are unmarked and "presumed" to be of that model.

·
Premium Member
3,949 Posts
There are 9 and 1 possible (foundry unmarked) Q & R 12-pdr Confederate bronze howitzers listed on the current National Registry. Only one is listed as privately owned, so this may be the gun that Kaintuck pictured here. The privately owned gun is marked, Quinby & Robinson, Memphis, Tenn., foundry number-43, year-1862, and weight-753 lbs.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts