Graybeard Outdoors banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
2,655 Posts
I have read that heart shot deer will do that. But, I have had heart shot deer fall down, kick their back legs, jump up on their hind legs like a horse, and sometimes just run with no sign their hit, until they drop. Don't know you can really say for certain. One thing I have noticed is when hit hard, a deer almost always runs down hill, or at least it seems that way when having to drag them back out.

Larry

·
Premium Member
11,075 Posts
From My experience it only indicates a good hit on doe for sure. Bucks if they don't go down with the hit they may just run till they drop, but I have seen a mortally wounded buck leap straight up and kick. Not sure there is a rule.

·
Premium Member
720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
In my case it's happened twice. In both cases no blood & no deer. In first instance I found a dead deer quite a ways from spot weeks later; Hope it wasn't me. I had heard it meant a heart shot deer but that can't be right.

·
Registered
12,510 Posts
Bigeasy said:
I have read that heart shot deer will do that. But, I have had heart shot deer fall down, kick their back legs, jump up on their hind legs like a horse, and sometimes just run with no sign their hit, until they drop. Don't know you can really say for certain. One thing I have noticed is when hit hard, a deer almost always runs down hill, or at least it seems that way when having to drag them back out.

Larry
Oldshooter said:
From My experience it only indicates a good hit on doe for sure. Bucks if they don't go down with the hit they may just run till they drop, but I have seen a mortally wounded buck leap straight up and kick. Not sure there is a rule.
^ ^ ^ ^these two^ ^ ^
the last one musta jumped 7 foot up and mule kicked and ran
about 25-30 yards with no heart or front of lungs to speak of.
i've had 'em do everything. fall and get up and run, fall and spin
and kick around in a circle, run straight away showing no sign of
a hit but leaving massive blood spurts the whole way, fall stiff
legged like it was lightning hit, etc.

Oldshooter said:
. . . . . . .Not sure there is a rule.
^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ pretty much sums it up

·
Registered
12,510 Posts
i should also say that i never take a shot then not go look
extensively, just as if i saw blood spurting, even if i didn't
see anything at the shot. me and friends have both had 'em
just turn as if not hit, then there'd be blood or the carcass
a good ways from where the deer was standing, and the shot
being a good lethal shot. you never know 'till you look.

good luck

·
Registered
12,510 Posts
yes

·
Premium Member
720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Many thanks for all replies; I found the deer today about 50 yards away but I never thought he would circle back and die so close. I searched all the "Likely" spots where I thought the deer was headed but I really never saw where he headed after the initial leg kick. I thought he would head straight away from me. The shot was about 200 yards standing still broadside but my 30/06 carbine was sighted in for 100 yards. The shot hit low behind the shoulder and partially opened up his guts while breaking the off leg. I lost some meat from the overnight delay. I am able to salvage back straps, 1 shoulder and undecided on hind quarters; They look redder than normal but I may be able to slice away surface tissue. I have the hind end hanging and removed it from rest of carcass. I'm not sure if the shot took out the liver but it was quite messy. I guess I'll have to get a higher magnification scope and sight in for longer range now that new regulations permit rifles. I currently have 2.5X and it's hard to "Aim small"@ longer ranges. Thanks again ...

·
Premium Member
11,075 Posts
Does that mean you had it sighted at 0 at 100? If so you might want to sight in 2 inch high at 100 and get a 0 at 200. That is with a 180 gr sp. A 150 gr would be a little flatter.

I have found deer and rabbits make a circle when chased or under duress.

·
Registered
12,510 Posts
glad to hear you found it.
if there is no objectionable smell from
the meat in question it should be ok,
especially if it was cool where the carcass
was at.

·
Super Moderator
11,140 Posts
I saw a buck step out from the far end of a forested strip about 150 yards away. There were too many trees, bushes, and branches between us for me to take a clear shot. Twin logging roads with a forested median cross between that strip and my stand. The scenario is four long 20+ foot lanes with the outter most lanes planted for wildlife. The inner most lanes are gravel and clay with a tree and brush median between them. The roads are lower in elevation by about 6-feet, thanks to too much scraping from the loggers, than the adjacent food plots.

The buck was circling, circling, circling moving in and out of the plot, head down, then erect, then down, trying to find a scent trail. I had never seen so much buck movement before with zero concern for safety. He was searching for a doe, presumably in heat, that had passed not 10-minutes prior. When the buck stopped moving on the upslope bank of the closest road 40-yards from me, I shot him solidly in the chest. He fled at the shot, traversed the entire edge back to the spot at 150 yards I had initially noticed him, suprisingly swapped ends, came back, and died in the exact spot I shot him. Unreal!

I watched an Open Ground Caribou hunt from Alaska on TV. The hunters arrived at a lake crossing by boat, secured the boat, and proceeded 150 yards from the boat to a point near the crossing. The lake-swimming behemoth they arrowed at 20-yards ran down the lake edge and died at the boat! Now figure the odds of that!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts