Graybeard Outdoors banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
3,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I grind my burger pure after spending some amount of time making sure there are no glands blood or fat in the meat. Then vacuum pack and freeze in pound packages. If I want to add anything to it I do so at cooking time which for me consists of salt, pepper. Minced onion and a bit of sugar. 1/3 tsp?. Then I form the patties and coat them in melted bacon grease. After that I set them aside and get the grill hot, cleaned and oiled. When I cook them I want them just done or they become dry. It’s not easy but f you nail it they are mouth watering... Some like there’s pink but for me the flavor is better when just done.

·
Registered
3,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Anyone besides me that grinds deer pure and package that way? No salt, no lard of any kind or sausage or beef burger blend?

·
Registered
578 Posts
grind mime pure, then for burgers us olive oil or bacon grease and seasoned meat tenderizer to make burgers. about a 1/5 cup fat and a table spoon of seasoned meat tenderizer makes some of the best burgers you will ever have. for soup stew, chili etc i use without the fat and tenderizer

·
Registered
336 Posts
My Darlin' Bride made venison tacos yesterday using stew meat that she rendered to 'pulled' after cooking in her mysteriously delicious blend of spices and 'erbs' and they were muchos yummy. She has her own signature salsa, made with ingredients from our own garden, including the hot peppers, and it is incredible.

for burgers, the ground venison we use is just delicious. Had son friends over who didn't know it was venison and wouldn't have cared so it seems, they ate all of them.....

·
Premium Member
3,452 Posts
Yeah, I grind mine pure as well and cleaned very well of sinew and tallow, vac pack, then cook with fat. Fats used depends what I have around, butter, duck, pork, beef, bacon - they all add goodness in there own way.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I process my own gourmet deer burger, some with bacon for fat and some plain. I add black pepper and some Lawry seasoned salt to the mixtures. We make burritos mostly and add Tones Taco seasoning in the pan. The results are great tasting and disappear quickly! The bacon add is mainly for the flavor and I use it sparingly. No one has ever complained and all have gone back for another one. Even after I tell the unknowing victims they are eating deer!

·
Registered
517 Posts
I know nothing about venison. Does it require added fat or oil to cook it without having it stick to in whatever pot, grill or skillet it's cooked? My mom made some in the middle 1960s. It was terrible! I'll never try it again...

·
22,205 Posts
yup its dry with no fat and tastes pretty bland without adding oil, grease or seasonings. it will stick to the pan without cooking in oil and tends to fall apart on the grill. Its why most good burger joints don't use lean burger. Beef fat is flavor. now if your health consciences and are worried about your cholesterol I can see it. you an add oil to keep it from sticking but why not just add fat and get the flavor too. I can almost agree with you. Ill eat a lean beef or venison burger but when we grew up we ate ALOT of venison. Dad ground it plain because he wasn't about to buy beef or pork to mix in with it. It was like a treat at our house when we ran out of venison burger and got some real burger with fat in it. What lean venison is great for is anything like spaghetti or chili or anything in a sauce. But a hamburger? make mine with 10-15 percent beef fat. Its kind of like why you don't trim away all the fat on a rib eye or porterhouse before you cook it. its why you look for a steak with fat marbled in it.

·
Registered
3,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
When mine are just done I use mayo and mustard and they are fit for a king...

·
Registered
45 Posts
We eat a lot of venison at our house. I spend a lot of time trimming fat and silver skin then add 20% pure white pork fat to the grind. I find it makes great burgers that way.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
We eat a lot of venison at our house. I spend a lot of time trimming fat and silver skin then add 20% pure white pork fat to the grind. I find it makes great burgers that way.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk
Some put there’s on the inside. Some put there’s on the outside. What’s the dif?

·
Registered
3,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Since I have strong genetics my children are highly intelligent and very athletic. Yours?

·
Registered
33 Posts
I've always trimmed, ground, and frozen it pure. As others have said, I use it plain in tacos, chili, spaghetti, etc, anything in a simmering sauce. But for burgers, meatloaf, shepherd pie, stuffed peppers, and anything else generally made with ground beef, I mix it 50/50 with the 73/27 ground beef. I mix it well and add salt, pepper, and Lawry' seasoned salt. The abundance of fat in the cheaper ground beef makes up for the dryness of the venison.
My kids are all grown and my wife passed away last fall so I don't have to disguise the venison any more but, I still find myself using the same techniques. Old habits truly are hard to break.

·
Registered
3,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I've always trimmed, ground, and frozen it pure. As others have said, I use it plain in tacos, chili, spaghetti, etc, anything in a simmering sauce. But for burgers, meatloaf, shepherd pie, stuffed peppers, and anything else generally made with ground beef, I mix it 50/50 with the 73/27 ground beef. I mix it well and add salt, pepper, and Lawry' seasoned salt. The abundance of fat in the cheaper ground beef makes up for the dryness of the venison.
My kids are all grown and my wife passed away last fall so I don't have to disguise the venison any more but, I still find myself using the same techniques. Old habits truly are hard to break.
We all have our own ways. Nothing wrong with that. Sorry about the wife. I sure depend on mine...

·
Premium Member
3,534 Posts
I grind a lot of deer burger. Age my carcass in our walk-in cooler for about a week, then grind with 20% beef fat that I hand select for quality.
Last year I ground six doe deer. All my deer are cleaned immediately, washed-out good, and hung to age a little. At my club, I can shoot a deer and have it skinned and gutted and in the cooler in under 45 minutes. That includes travel time back to the clubhouse. It is no secret that meat that is clean and quickly cooled will always taste better.

·
Premium Member
3,287 Posts
For cooking purposes i pick all fat, blood, tendons and as much silver skin as i can off of it grind and freeze. For burger meat i do the same but grind about 5 pounds of bacon to add to 15 or 20 pounds of venison. Makes burgers so good you’ll wanta smack yer grammaw.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts