Graybeard Outdoors banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5,983 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was just reading the State Farm report that Iowa has moved from forth to third place, nation wide, for chances of a car/deer collision. They claim that Iowa drivers now have a 1-68 chance of such a collision. I didn't find the basis for that claim in the article...is it, every time you get in the car you have that chance, or is that if you go on 68 drives you will end up hitting one deer? That wasn't explained. :-\

Meanwhile, the DNR has canceled the high power season again this year and the number of antlerless tags has been drastically reduced statewide. Some folks claim the insurance industry has a major impact on deer season in Iowa, apparently not.......Doesn't make much sense. ???

·
Registered
3,143 Posts
My 1st cousin came down from Michigan one year to hunt late season deer , he was complaining about all the deer / car collision they have up there . I boasted that Alabama has as many deer as Michigan , And Ive yet to hit one in all my years of driving . Two weeks later I had a 8 point dart out in front of me , I broadsided him and his antlers went thru my AC coil and radiator . When making a claim remember the deer hit you , never admit you hit the deer.

·
Registered
5,983 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've never hit one and I've lived here most alla my life. My wife, however, hit one the first year we were married. :eek:

Kinda hard to claim the deer hit YOU when he's embedded in yer grill. :-\

·
Premium Member
11,075 Posts
One hit the wife's car once . A big 8 point, he broadsided her and knocked himself out. She got out to check the car damage and see if he was dead. While she checked her car he got up and staggered into the woods.

Deer - car collisions are frequent here.

I'm guessing the anti hunting crowd is prevailing in IOWA. ::)

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
I had one run into the door of my van and done more damage than me turning the van over on a major hi-way avoiding a man who crossed my lane. It got up and ran/ waddled into the woods.

·
Registered
3,143 Posts
[quote author=Cuts Crooked link=topic=309543.msg1099979108#msg1099979108 date=144304511

Kinda hard to claim the deer hit YOU when he's embedded in yer grill. :-\
[/quote] Claim denied or claim approved it all depends on the terminology one uses with insurance companies . Im just glad it was a old wore out F 150 and not my GMC Sierra .

·
Registered
12,510 Posts
the deer i've interacted with don't seem to
just run off. about 50% of the time they
seem to double back and cross the road
right in front with inches to spare.
been real lucky so far and ain't hit nar'un. :p
(knocking on wood as i type)

when those collisions get so frequent, it's
time to do some thinning. it's a shame the
fish and game folks there don't see the light

·
Registered
3,384 Posts
One time, I almost ran over a small herd of deer down around the north end of the Frio River. They were all standing in the middle of the road in the middle of the night. By the time I realized what they were it was too late to stop so I laid on the horn and slowed as much as I could. They scattered as best they could when they heard the horn as it snapped them out of the headlight induced trance. They were all slippin and slidin on the blacktop like it was a slip-n-slide. Most managed to get well clear, but one barely escaped with it's life.

·
Registered
661 Posts
Not sure, but I think the 1-68 chance means that 1 in 68 drivers will hit a deer during one year. I've hit six deer in Iowa, one coming home from visiting relatives, one on the way to pheasant hunting and FOUR ON THE WAY TO DEER HUNTING!

·
Registered
19,177 Posts
adding up me and my brothers, 25% of us has totaled a truck after being hit by a deer. I think that's a worse percentage than gun accidents.

·
Registered
19,177 Posts
adding up me and my brothers, 25% of us has totaled a truck after being hit by a deer. I think that's a worse percentage than gun accidents.

·
Registered
5,983 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Had two near misses this week driving to work. The first season muzzle loader hunters seem to have them stirred up. :eek:

·
Registered
16,181 Posts
The rut is on, saw a really nice big buck walking along the fence line right by the highway, head down, sniffing every few steps.
Best slow down and be on the look out for them.
Blessings

·
Registered
16,181 Posts
Huge buck one step from the pavement last night chose not to step out in front of me last night, even driving slower this time of the year I missed seeing him till it would have been too late.
They really have other things on their mind right now.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.