Graybeard Outdoors banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello and thanks for your input. I am debating which of these two to get for a new deer gun. The lease we hunt in western Oklahoma is WIDE open, lots of tree stand hunting, ground blinds, and 200-300 yard shots over alfalfa and wheat fileds are the norm.

Began looking at the 257 Wby Mag, but dang, the ammo is high.
I am looking at the Savage model 12 varmit rig (SS/Lam) 26" tube
and a Tikka in the 7-08. Also, any opinions on bi-pods would greatly welcomed too.

So gents, let's hear the pro's and cons. Thanks for the input and have a great 4th o'July.

Sincerely,

OUrabmen

·
Registered
2,281 Posts
I have a 7-08 and I've only used it one season. My rig is for woods hunting. I have no doubt the 7-08 will do the job out to 300 yards. The 25-06 is a good choice. I'd rather have a 270, 280,7 mag, or a 30-06 for the range you ae going to use it. Ammo won't cost an arm and a leg and will have enough knock down power when the bullet connects. One thing to consider is game can't read ballistics charts.

·
Registered
241 Posts
ourabmen

The 7mm-08 will shoot a little heavier bullets than the 25-06. Using the link below, You can compare the two at the Remington "Ballistics Comparison Charts" website. Granted, you are only comparing Remington ammo there, but it will give you a feel for how the two compare. Compare the 120Grn bullets for both calibers and you will see that the ballistics are virtually identical.

http://www.remington.com/NR/exeres/000014d2dhzaqbajqdgkipen/RemArms+Product+Group.asp?NRMODE=Published&NRORIGINALURL=/ammo/ballistics/ballistics.htm&NRNODEGUID={4F84126C-5E11-4B1F-89E6-95AB18499B6A}&NRQUERYTERMINATOR=1&cookie_test=1

I chose the 7MM-08 in a Rem 700 Mountian LSS variety.

Good luck with your decision!!!

firstshot
-----------------------------------------
Make your first shot count!

·
Registered
341 Posts
I have both and if your going to play at those distances on a regular basis get the 2506 don't get me wrong there is nothing wrong with the 708 but for the situation you mentioned the the gun I would grab and have is the 2506 it what it's all about cause it ain't no brush gun. IMHO when you compar bullets of the same weight but different diameter you leave out sectional density a 25 caliber bullet of 120 grains is equal to about a 150 grain 7mm bullet there not quite on the same footing the 25 caliber bullet of 100 grains has about the same sectional density as a 7mm of 120 grains. Enjoy... Bob

·
Registered
29 Posts
in reality there is no real brush gun,the 7mm-08 would be the best choice,it can shot just as flat as the 25-06 with a 139 grain bullet that is,and have as much energy as a 30-06 ,165 grain bullet at 400 yards.it is a alwsome round and hard to be beat.i own one and have shot alot of deer with it and i love it.

·
Registered
241 Posts
old06

You're absolutely right about comparing bullets of the same sectional density. But even comparing the 25-06 100Grn Pointed Soft Point Core Lokt to the 7mm-08 140 Pointed Soft Point Core Lokt, both Remington Express rounds, the Remington Ballistic Comparision site shows that:

Due to the lighter bullet, the 25-06 has a slight velocity edge from muzzle to 400YDs. The 7mm-08 bearly edges ahead at 500Yds.

Out to 300 Yds there an inch or less of difference in trajectories. At 400Yds the 25-06 is only 1.5" higher.

Due to the heavier bullet weight, from 100 Yds out to 500 Yds the 7mm-08 has between 284 and 329 more ft-lbs of energy than the 25.06.

Granted, this is a Remington loaded ammo comparison, but at least in this comparison in my totally unbiased opinion ( :lol: NOT) it looks like the 7mm-08 wins out. In reality the two are very similar balistically. The main difference being long action vs short action and a little lighter bullets vs a little heaver bullets.

In the real world, I doubt the deer will be able to tell the difference.

firstshot
------------------------------------
Make your first shot count!

·
Registered
92 Posts
It's true, I shot an Axis doe last weekend with the new Howa Mountain rifle I bought in 7mm08. At 200 yards, the deer couldn't tell whether it was a 2506 or 7-08 ....I only bought the 7mm08 because it was on sale! I'll have both some day.

·
Registered
516 Posts
I have both calibers (one in a Remy and the other in a Savage) and trying to decide which one is best for deer is something akin to figuring out why PI is equal to 3.14159. I am a tad more partial to the 25-06 since it was my first "big-game" rifle when I passed hunter ed many seasons ago. Both are excellent deer getters for me and accurate. They both digest factory loads just fine but really purr with the right handload. Only con I can see is if you can't get both calibers.

·
Registered
129 Posts
7mm 08 or 25'06

First off your are looking at the right rifle, the tikkas are great guns. I like the 7mm-08, option of bigger bullets and a real pleasure to shoot, not that the 25-06 would be a bad choice, I'm just a fan of 7mm's.

·
Registered
400 Posts
I had a 25-06 for years. Worked well for deer, but we have small deer here in TX. I would now suggest and own a .260 and 270 because of the larger grain bullets. The .260 seems perfect for what you are asking.

pepaw

·
Registered
2,281 Posts
After going to the Remington site as firstshot suggested I have to say I'd get the 7-08 over the 25-06. If you reload you can use better long range bullets and better the performance too.

·
Registered
2,587 Posts
I have never owned a 25-06 and so can't say anything about them. But I have shot deer -mulies and whitetails- with a bunch of different calibres and if I could only have one rifle and did not intend to hunt elk or the great bears, it would be a 7-08. Actually, if it was my only rifle, I wouldn't hesitate to take it elk hunting with the proper handloads.
Handloaders will telll you its a very accomadating round to load.

·
Registered
871 Posts
I don't see where you can go wrong with 25-06 or the 7-08. I shot two deer last year that were over 250 yrds with my(custom) 25-06 and one droped and one ran 30 -40 yards and droped. I have a few friends who have 25-06 and they love em. The same could be said with friends who have the 7-08. They both will work well. Tell you one thing though I will never get rid of my 25-06.

Norse

·
Registered
100 Posts
Unless your a hardcore benchrest guy, the point is really purely preferential. neither would be best for elephants, rhinos, or grizzlies, but will easily slay the biggest buck in North America at 400 yds. I love my .25-06 110FP it is a one-hole gun, and I have killed numerous deer with it, and a 300 lb. boar took one through and through at 200 yds. with a Win. 120 gr. PEP. That being said, anything spawned from a .308 seems to have some of its daddy's magic, and I would feel great hunting with a 7mm/08. Honestly though, when were talking parts of inches, or minimum fps differences, the animals plumbing won't argue with either one. I would be way more concerned with bullet construction, optics & mounts, and most of all range time with whatever you choose. This from a guy who spent all morning sweating the ballistics of various .45-70 loads, and doesn't even own one yet. My opinion is, go with your gut.

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
Buy em both. One for even days and one for odd days. Poligamy Laws don't apply to guns. Only Spouses.

·
Registered
4,461 Posts
ourabmen said:
Hello and thanks for your input. I am debating which of these two to get for a new deer gun. The lease we hunt in western Oklahoma is WIDE open, lots of tree stand hunting, ground blinds, and 200-300 yard shots over alfalfa and wheat fileds are the norm.

Began looking at the 257 Wby Mag, but dang, the ammo is high.
I am looking at the Savage model 12 varmit rig (SS/Lam) 26" tube
and a Tikka in the 7-08. Also, any opinions on bi-pods would greatly welcomed too.

So gents, let's hear the pro's and cons. Thanks for the input and have a great 4th o'July.

Sincerely,

OUrabmen
If you want the most accurate out of th box rifle being offered today the choice is simple, get the Savage. Tikka's are good but I don't care for removable magazines. Tried them and never again in hunting situations. Besides the .25-06 is a flatter shooting cartridge and kills deer like they have been hit by lighting. Lawdog
:D

·
Registered
134 Posts
I just bought the same savage as you are considering and I chose the 308. Realisticly there is no concernable difference in 25-06-260-270-280-7mm-08 for most people. The 308 is shot all the time in the 1000yd. matches so I would'nt be concerned about 300 yds with either of the two calibers you are interested in. If I wanted a particular rifle and went into some place like Cabellas and they had the rifles lined up in all these calibers I would pick the one with the best looking stock. If you hit a deer in the same place with comparable bullets from any of these calibers I do not think the deer would take one step more or less after the shot. Thats my opinion. Good luck in whatever you choose.--vernonp

1 - 20 of 30 Posts