Graybeard Outdoors banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I killed my first deer with my handi 45-70 yesterday. A nice big doe. Popped her at about 75 yards with a 405grn remington soft point in front of 35grn of IMR 4198. Just a pleasant load. Nicked the front shoulder going in and blew the crap out of the far shoulder coming out! She went about 20 yards and piled up. Drug her back to the rig with my Dad, had a few falls and alot of laughs. Can't beat spending time in the woods with your old man, and bringing meat home with a single shot rifle and a handloaded cartridge.

·
Premium Member
16,614 Posts
Oh man... I got almost three more weeks to wait!!!!

CONGRATS!!

CW

·
Premium Member
11,226 Posts
Stories like this keep me from getting another 45-70. :D I just can't find any used ones anywhere. ;D ;)

Congrats on the good shooting!!

Thanks, Dinny

·
Super Moderator
51,894 Posts
Congrats Dave!! ;) I've yet to even see a deer, let alone a buck in the 5 days I've hunted since the beginning of the season on the 15th which ends Monday, there's 4 days of late buck in November tho. I did see an elk tho last Monday, it was the last one in a herd that crossed the road just in front of us as we were driving out of the area, elk season opens a week from today! ;D

Tim

·
Registered
4,536 Posts
quickdtoo said:
Congrats Dave!! ;) I've yet to even see a deer, let alone a buck in the 5 days I've hunted since the beginning of the season on the 15th which ends Monday, there's 4 days of late buck in November tho. I did see an elk tho last Monday, it was the last one in a herd that crossed the road just in front of us as we were driving out of the area, elk season opens a week from today! ;D

Tim
IIRC Tim, you have a tag this year. Best of luck on both your hunts.

DaveW - Congrats! and good shooting, was it with iron sights or a scope? If using a scope, I'm curious which one are you using? Can't wait to see the pics.

·
Registered
751 Posts
smokepole started here yesterday. got drawn on 3 hunts this year and the first was last week with muzzleloader. my son shot a doe and i shot a doe and a 3ptr. next hunt is a week long with smokepole and then rifle for 3 more days. had to buy extra doe tags as to not use all my original on the game land hunts. congrats on the doe. dang good eatin provided that big bullet left anything :)

·
Registered
4,536 Posts
DaveW said:
@oldschoolranger, I was using a scope. I bought a cheap ($40) bushnell fixed 4 power and put it on. Nothing special but does the job.
That's all that matters.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.