Graybeard Outdoors banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm out the door when I finish this. For the first time in 20 years, my buddy Wayne from Florida isn't here....couldn't make it, so I'm hunting alone. It's an all Handi day. The .45-70 and .44 mag are out there loaded and ready. The Maximum is my "walk out" gun this morning.
Good luck to all of you hunting today.

Pete

·
Administrator
26,228 Posts
Your season starts on Sunday? Wow, I've never heard of that before. Some states like PA won't even allow hunting on Sunday. Here in Bama we can but season ALWAYS starts on the Saturday before Thanksgiving meaning next Saturday.

Now bow season here always begins on Oct. 15 so should that happen to fall on a Sunday it would still be opening day of bow season. Is that how your season is opening on a fixed date no matter which day of week it falls on?

Good luck to ya. I'm still not even certain I'll make it out this season but it runs from next Saturday thru Jan. 31 so perhaps I'll find myself out there a time or two.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Slufoot said:
Good Luck Pete!

Here in VA you can't hunt on Sunday. You are allowed to fish, shoot firearms and buy beer though, it really ticks me off!

GOOD SHOOTING!
Slufoot
Every couple of years I fight that fight in the General Assembly in Va Slufoot.
Believe it or not, the biggest opponents of Sunday hunting are the Damn Dog Hunters. Claim they want a peaceful day when no one is running dogs.

The dog hunters are the single biggest reason Old Va was formed and the #1 reason I became a lobbyist. :mad: :mad: :mad:

·
Premium Member
11,075 Posts
Best of the hunting to you Pete! I'm here at the desk hunting keys and finger typing! Dag nabbit!

Oh I forgot......A picture is worth a thousand words so belly up when you get back, Pard! ;)

·
Premium Member
9,821 Posts
Good luck Pete, I'll be out hunting myself :)

·
Premium Member
9,713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Here in MI, Bow season opens Oct. 1. Rifle season begins always Nov. 15, a school holiday here......mainly because only the pre-schoolers would be there......and maybe not many of them ;D Muzzleloader is a variable, but starts in early Dec. and runs about 10 days.

I just came in to grab a bite to eat and try to fix the red dot on the Max. It won't shut off. I've got plenty of batteries, so I'll just leave it on and take it out tonight and put a fresh one in in the morning.

Didn't see anything this morning, just red squirrels and crows. I'll be out from now til dark. See ya later.

Pete

·
Premium Member
9,713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well Skunk, I got skunked today. Didn't see a brown forest goat. I did have a woodpecker pounding all over my tree stand and just about climbing on my head. That was fun for a while. I guess I was in the wrong place at the right time ??? Tomorrow's another day. Oh yeah, almost forgot. I had a red squirrel carrying an apple run up a tree next to me. Question for all of you......How can a red squirrel see where he's going carrying an apple 3 times bigger than his head? We've got trees breaking under the weight of the apples they have this year. I've never seen anything like it before.

A couple of years ago, Joe Greco, also from Florida, was up in what we call the North Stand. It is built between 4 live trees. Anyhow, Joe climbed up and sat down. After a bit he decided to get into his snacks. He set an apple on the handrail and started munching a sandwich. After a bit, a red squirrel climbed up there and swiped his apple right out from under his nose.

I'll see you guys in the morning. 'Nite all.

Pete

·
Premium Member
9,713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Marv, be here early for breakfast......backstrap, eggs, toast and home fies. I cheated....I gotta piece of backstrap in the freezer from last year ;) Y'all come!!!

Pete

1 - 20 of 24 Posts