Graybeard Outdoors banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
922 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
But my point is with just the pistol grip and a barrel cut down to 18 inches isn't that border line illegal? I'm not sure what the overall lenght is supossed to be?

·
Super Moderator
51,042 Posts
I sure as heck would want more than a single shot for a home defense firearm!!!! Not too practical for their intended purpose....

Tim

·
Registered
922 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have to agree with you there Quick. :?

·
Registered
3,238 Posts
Not completely sure of the legality of it either.
I believe everything changes once you take the stock off and have only a pistol grip handle.
Illegal=probably with the grip alone. But with the small buttstock and grip probably not.

·
Registered
592 Posts
As long as it has a minimum over all length of at least 26", then it doesn't matter whether it has a pistol grip or regular stock. Placing a pistol grip on a Handi rifle or shotgun does not make it illegal, as long as the minimum overall length requirement is met.

·
Registered
3,238 Posts
jason280 said:
As long as it has a minimum over all length of at least 26", then it doesn't matter whether it has a pistol grip or regular stock. Placing a pistol grip on a Handi rifle or shotgun does not make it illegal, as long as the minimum overall length requirement is met.
There ya go. Thanks for clearing that up jason.

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
didn't some losers conspire to murder Randy Weaver's wife and one child over a sawed-off shotgun barrel that was a little bit shy of the rule......if you remember "Ruby Ridge" in Idaho.

that's a hard way to say it, but murder it was; and all because of some misunderstandings and because of a 'setup' with Randy Weaver being given an illegal (short-barreled) firearm to sell to a man that the Fed's wanted to catch. Weaver wound up in the middle of it all, and with his wife being murdered, as I see it, by Lon Horiuchi (spelling?)who supposedly was a 'sniper' for the FBI!

I don't think we'd see that kind of behavior out of today's FBI with George Bush at the helm (though his father was the president at the time of Ruby Ridge....); but it isn't worth running afoul of the law to try it.

the 26" rule isn't the whole story, I don't think.

ss'

·
Registered
922 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm not wanting to do this. Really i see no purpose in a single shot home defense weapon. My snub 38 does just fine. I just wanted everyone else to be well aware of the law if they where thinking about doing a project involving this piece.

Safety, have to agree with you about ruby ridge.

·
Registered
6,878 Posts
I'm sure from the picture of the recoil pad...that that will dampen the recoil...yea...sure it will... :) Just what I'd want to shoot slugs and buckshot thru...sure I would :eek:

Mac

·
Registered
2,087 Posts
oh come on mac you only live once!!!! if it came in wood i would buy it just to play with ,sounds like fun to me.

·
Registered
6,878 Posts
Not when it comes to having severe pain from a seperated shoulder...and me thinks that's what your going to get shooting slugs with that set up.. :)

Mac

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
Here is my "unwelcome mat" :roll: No single shots for me...6 in ready for dispersion and backup on the side...can shoot 3" mag's if your masochistic.... :wink: (yes it hurts but not as bad I assume as on the receiving end)

O.A.L. 28-3/4 w/ 18" heavy barrel.....Mossberg 590A1

·
Premium Member
6,604 Posts
Not my ideal home de-fence choice , but might make a nice heavy cover bunny buster for along R.R. tracks , light load # 5s or 6s :lol:

·
Registered
169 Posts
Note to self:

Don't break into Deadeyes house

:shock:

Rick

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
jason280 said:
Ditto... keep it legal and no problems from ATF :shock:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts