Graybeard Outdoors banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4,450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dear Guys,

I have never had a Winchester 94, but have been thinking about getting one.

Stupid me, I thought they were a dead-nutz reliable repeating firearm.

My brother collects antique 73, which we occasionally shoot, and all of them have been 1000% reliable.

So, I was pretty shocked when I went on line and found tons of complaints, spread over decades, of Winchester 94s jamming because the cartridge slides beneath the carrier.

What the h&ll? Are you kidding me? What good is a Winchester Repeating Rifle if it won't repeat?

I'm guessing that this started with the cheapie 1965 models, and continued for a long time thereafter. So, my question is, is there a start and stop manufacturing date, or a start and stop serial number, when this problem started and finally ended? Did Winchester ever fix this manufacturing defect?

Thanks for all info.

Mannyrock

·
Premium Member
23,845 Posts
No the cheapie was the post 64 folded piece of pot metal she'll carrier. My dad ordered a new Model 94 Winchester 3030 in 1958. When it arrived, he shot it 7 times, and gave it to me, and the rest of the box of shells. It has NEVER did what your talking about, HOWEVER. I have had three or four brought to me with that problem. It wasn't the rifle, it was the operator.
They had opened the action enough to actuate the cartridge retainer, but didn't fully cycle the lever. Result? The cartridge went UNDER the carrier when they tried to close the action, and locked up the rifle.

·
Registered
3,384 Posts
I once kinda locked up my 336 when I didn't push the shell all the way into the magazine until it locked. Then it tried to double feed. But it just took a couple of seconds to remedy the situation.

I guess you could say it's something to watch out for since it's possible for the shell to go all the way inside and the loading gate to close without the round catching in the magazine. But I attributed it to user error and not a malfunction.

Also, I have found that the Marlin feeds the round nose bullets with less attention than the flat nose bullets. Not sure if this is the same case with the 94.

·
Premium Member
23,845 Posts
The action is considerably different in some ways.

·
Registered
3,384 Posts
Right, I forgot that the Winchester lifts the cartridge differently. The Marlin feeds into the chamber at more of an angle I believe.

·
Registered
9,714 Posts
Like Dee said, it's operator error. Don't try to work the lever real slow or be hesitant about working it through the cycle. Do it quickly and forcefully and you won't have a problem.

Although the malfunction is different you could compare it to people who try to work a pump shotgun slow and easy and end up short-shucking it.

·
Premium Member
23,845 Posts
spruce said:
Like Dee said, it's operator error. Don't try to work the lever real slow or be hesitant about working it through the cycle. Do it quickly and forcefully and you won't have a problem.

Although the malfunction is different you could compare it to people who try to work a pump shotgun slow and easy and end up short-shucking it.

Good comparison.

·
Registered
12,510 Posts
never saw that problem with friends who've had 'em.
theirs was a problem of too much wear induced rattle
throughout the gun. they still piled up the deer and hogs.

spruce said:

^ ^ ^ ^ ^ this can apply to pretty much any manually operated repeating firearm^ ^ ^ ^

·
Registered
3,532 Posts
In the mid 1950's I was 12-yearsold and issued a 25-35 Winchester Saddle Ring carbine that had a wore nickel plated finished to hunt deer. It had been carried in a saddle scabbard on a ranch. I thought it was neat until a it malfunctioned with a round slipping down into the action. It happen two or three times as I recall but never while out hunting. By the end of the season I graduated to a pre-war Savage 99 in 303 Savage.

At 12 I did not have the expertise to solve the problem.

I do not think it was a common problem back in the 50's. I remember successful hunters bring in their bucks to be weighed in at the Cattlemen's Club and nobody complained about their 94.

I recall my Dad having a Winchester 94 in 32-40 and a Model 64 in 32 Special. The 64 had a folding sight on the stock and buckhorn sight on the barrel. I do not recall him complaining about the functioning of the rifles.

I remember an elder sheriff's detective arriving at my location. A suspect had fired three rounds at a car in a campground. The detective pulled off his sports jacket and tie, open the trunk of his Ford pulling a Winchester 94 out of the trunk. He chambered a round and we went looking for the suspect. I was impressed. (1969-70)

·
Registered
2,922 Posts
I had a 94 I bought new in 1963 and it worked great. I bought another in 1969, also new, and it would jam if you were at all hesitant on cycling the action. With the old one, I could bring the lever down half way, then pull it up and it would push the cartridges back into the magazine tube. With the '69 rifle it would slip a cartridge under the carrier. I believe this was a problem until USRA took over and they fixed it.

~WH~

·
Premium Member
244 Posts
I have a 94 Trapper 1894-1994 45 colt that did it new out of the box.I sent it back to Winchester hasn't done it since and I didn't change the way I work the lever.So yes some do it and it can be fixed.That was the only 94 I've had or used that did it.

·
Registered
230 Posts
I had a Winchester 94AE in 44mag, large loop, about 14 years ago. I went out scouting for Elk and took the 44 mag with me. Came across a coyote I kicked up, fired one shot and missed him on the run, cycled the action and jammed. IDK if I short shucked or what, but if I were defending myself from a bear, I would have been meat! Same thing, round under the carrier, and it was a USRA rifle. I sold the gun and never thought of buying one again. I own a Rossi M92 and Henry BB Steel 44 mag, no issues with either. And I have tried to make them fail. Slow cycling, "short-shucking", etc. No issues.

On a side note, I really didn't like the feel of a 94 action. That 2-phase hinging, drop down and slide back, really doesn't feel smooth to me. I prefer the 1886 or 92 action. Just my .02. 8)

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
One sure way to beat that problem.................Don`t buy one!

I`ve had one for many ,many years ( a 94 that is) and that puppy always puts the round where it`s supposed to go. In the chamber.

Oh, by the way.................it`s not a "cheapie."

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.