Graybeard Outdoors banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thinking about going to a digital caliper for my loading bench since old eyes are not as quick and accurate as they used to be. My dial 4" Mitutoyo is very good but those little dashes between the numbers seem to have shrunk. My old 6" Lyman still does pretty well but I was thinking maybe to upgrading to the modern world just as most us have done with scales.
My question is where to start. Prices are far and wide and while I do want reliable I do not want to over pay.
Suggestions appreciated.

Ken

·
Registered
635 Posts
I use cheap ones from Harbor Freight, they are good enough for reloading, and since I can afford multiples at around $10 each, I use one to check the results against another, and have a Lyman dial caliper to check even further. So far they have proved rather useful.

Reactions: cwlongshot

·
Registered
1,984 Posts
Depends what you want to spend. I have Brown & Sharps and Mitutoya. They are quality but more money. I use them for more than just reloading. If just using for reloading I might consider one of the sets made by the reloading companies. I personally wouldn't go too cheap, I like quality myself.

·
Premium Member
3,942 Posts
I forget where I got mine - an auto repair parts store I think for about $30. Works fine for me and has been durable for 10 yrs or so. I'm not a bench rest shooter or super long range shooter. But yeah far more handy than my Mitutoyo Vernier's - my eyes can't read that so well any more.

·
Premium Member
1,103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the responses. Decided on the Mitutoyo 500-196. Now waiting for the pony.

Ken

·
23,297 Posts
i have an rcbs set. Not to impressive. They replaced them twice so im on my 3rd set now in about 20 years.

·
Premium Member
1,103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Not sure where the RCBS are made but I decided to go with Japan in lieu of china but sounds like you have done pretty well with your choice. I guess my choice has been influenced by the Japan optics vs. china. and to my Mitutoyo dial is Japan made.

Ken

Ken

·
Registered
556 Posts
Watch a couple videos on how to spot fake Mitutoyo calipers as there are lots of them out there on ebay, amazon ect.

·
23,297 Posts
I have mostly Starrett micrometers and theyve never given me an issue.

·
Premium Member
1,103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Got the Mitutoyo 196-500-30 calipers today. These are the china made knock offs. Other than being pixxed about being screwed over the unit is a very good imitation. All functions work perfectly and for $40.00 it is more hassle to return than just admit "if it sounds to good to be true it probably is". If you want the real deal expect to pay about $130-$150 and don't trust those asses on e-bay.

Ken

1 - 10 of 10 Posts