Graybeard Outdoors banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
how do you guys go about killing an animal that is caught in your trap if it is on land, and not drowned? blow to the head, or just shoot them? also how do yu go about it as not to damage the hide?

·
Registered
264 Posts
I like to shhot between the eyes with a 22 short for **** , possum . Skunks I like a 22 long rifle ( not to be mistaken for a magnum ) into the lungs and they rarely will spray .. And fox and yote I use 22 longs between the eyes . As far as pelt damage , I asked my buyer about it and he said it was no problem . Maybe other buyers look at it differently . There was mention of rabies concern with shooting in the head though . I always wear gloves when skinning so hopefully that will protect me .

·
Registered
36 Posts
I like the .22 short for most animals and .22 long for Yotes'. I would suggest not in the head or between the eyes because of the chance that rabies could be dispursed via the air. That is the highest concetration of the disease anywhere and it is airborn virus. Use good jusdgement. A shot to the neck does the job and does not damage fur in any way.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.