Graybeard Outdoors banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone here use them? What did you think? I was invited by my uncle who lives in Texas to go hunt hogs, I have heard these are the end all be all in slugs for hogs but, ::) you know how that goes.

·
2,383 Posts
I heard the same thing but I ended up purchasing Brenneke Black Magic slugs. I have not had a chance to shot them when I do I will post the results.

Black Magic Magnum 12 / 3"
Weight: 1 3/8 oz.
Barrel: all types
Range: up to 100 yards
Game: large / dangerous

Original BRENNEKE “Black Magic” Slug with newly developed unique, patented B.E.T.® wad
PowerWad results in greater accuracy
tremendous knockdown power up to 100 yards
life insurance against dangerous big game and predators at close range
new, specially developed CleanSpeed™ Coating reduces lead fouling inside the barrel, and to zero at the muzzle
one of the heaviest slugs on the market (600 grains / 1 3/8 oz)
very accurate: 2” groups at 50 yards and 3” groups at 100 yards with smoothbore barrels

Distance Velocity Energy Bullet Path
(Yards) (feet/sec.) (ft. lbs.) (inch)
Muzzle 1502 3014 - 2.0
25 1295 2241 + 0.4
50 1136 1724 + 1.6
75 1030 1418 + 1.0
100 955 1219 - 1.5

Optimum Distance for Sighting in: 88 yards

Doug

·
Registered
152 Posts
I have only read positive reviews about them. The owner posts on texasboars.com and seems knowledgeable enough about hog hunting and ammo choices. I believe they are located in Florida. That's about all I know. If you call them and tell them what gun you are using and what you are using they will recommend ammo to you.

·
2,383 Posts
I am impressed with the Brenneke 3 inch Black Magic. After sighting int he shotgun and having 2 rounds left wiith me (I only took one box to the field) I was able to get the last 2 slugs touching at 50 yards. I was impressed. Especially give the Winchester slugs were flying all over the place to the point I could not use them to sight the shot gun in. I am sold on the Brenneke 3 inch Black Magic slugs.

Doug

·
Registered
2,594 Posts
I have used them earlier this year for Florida Swampwalkers, out of my Mossberg 500, and the critter only went 18 inches.....straight down. The offside shoulder was pretty much gone due to the tremendous force with which the hog was hit. I used the Dixie Terminator. It is plenty for what you need.

ST762

·
Registered
25 Posts
If you can handle the recoil of a 700-grain-plus slug, then go with Dixie Slugs. I find myself flinching with them pretty good but I've shot two hogs with it and neither took another step. One was a 150 lb sow and it blew brain material out of the head for about two feet. The other was a 140 lb sow and she never moved, either.

For accuracy's sake I've even considered going with a twenty gauge. Not because of the bullet, but because I tend to flinch.

I'm actually hoping to do some more hog hunting later this week. I'll be on the ground with them. I'll have a revolver and a mossberg loaded with 6 rounds of the Dixie Terminator round. I can't think of anything better for close-in work.

·
Registered
603 Posts
I have the first batch of 20 ga loads with dixie slugs I loaded setting on my desk waiting to get time to test fire they should be doing ~1050 f.p.s I will post a report . Here is what I do know , James Gates of Dixie slugs is extremely knowledgeable about slugs and is willing to share that knowledge weather you are buying from him or not and in my opinion is a top notch man to deal with.
My plan with the slugs is to push them @ 1200-1250 fps if I can get decent accuracy out of the I plan on ordering enough to last me for a long while
Roy

·
Premium Member
9,385 Posts
I am a great backer of Brenneke Slugs and use them for deer hunting, however, If I were to hunt hogs on the ground with a shotgun and had my choice I would use the proper Dixie slug for the gun I carried (smoothbore/rifled) or even the Tri Ball load. I have hunted hogs before (in Texas) and hope to do so again someday. James Gates of Dixie Slugs is a gentleman, honest, helpful, and knowledgeable. I have shot his products and have some if I ever need them for dangerous game. I will be buying more and will also be getting some Tri Ball. His products are top notch and simply the best there are for dangerous game with a shotgun. You may be trusting your life or health on the ammo you use so why not use the best...the Dixie slugs....<><....:)

·
2,383 Posts
Interesting I have take 200lb hogs at 75 yards with Remington (cheapo) slugs. I am now carrying 3 inch 00 buck to back up the 9.3x74r. I still have those Brenneke 3 inch Black Magic slugs just incase I see hogzilla... :eek:

·
Premium Member
9,385 Posts
The last time I went hog hunting in Texas my buddy and I used our homemade longbows (his home, he is a custom boyer) and he carried his S&W .44 Mag with homerolled hardcast Keith design slugs that he reloaded at near max loads. We each used our own homemade wooden arrows. If I go back and use a shotgun the Dixie Slugs will be a great improvement and increase in power over our longbows and wooden arrows....<><....:)

·
Registered
71 Posts
I shot a box of those Terminators from my scoped Ithaca DSII yesterday.

Was only a 50yd test as I was too lazy to drag the bench back any farther, the first 2 shots cut holes, and then the recoil got to me and I went to **** after that, but ended up with a decent 3" group all things considered.

I know 3" ain't a lot to brag over, but these things kick like the devil from the bench and that light Ithaca.

·
Registered
603 Posts
I have been working with some of the 20 dixie slugs . handloading them the last batch I chrony'ed at 1196 F.P.S. with 2" groups at 50 Yards And reasonable recoil out of my H&R tracker II I figure that a 500 grain .625 bullet at 1200 f.p.s ought to kill anything I want to shoot ;D
Roy

·
Registered
235 Posts
navyredneck said:
If you can handle the recoil of a 700-grain-plus slug, then go with Dixie Slugs.  I find myself flinching with them pretty good but I've shot two hogs with it and neither took another step.  One was a 150 lb sow and it blew brain material out of the head for about two feet.  The other was a 140 lb sow and she never moved, either.

For accuracy's sake I've even considered going with a twenty gauge.  Not because of the bullet, but because I tend to flinch.

I'm actually hoping to do some more hog hunting later this week.  I'll be on the ground with them.  I'll have a revolver and a mossberg loaded with 6 rounds of the Dixie Terminator round.  I can't think of anything better for close-in work.
I shoot DIXIE'S exclusively in my 2 single shot H&R 5.5lb slug guns, one is a 12 ga the other a 20ga. Let me assure you hard cast lead bullets(slugs) are another world entirely! They should not even be considered "slugs" they can be better described as .620 Nitro Spl. and the .730 Nitro Spl.!!
The 20ga has to be seen/fired to be believed! What you are really shooting is a .62 caliber BIG game rifle that makes the high power 45-70s look like a wimp! It will lay down ANYTHING in it's path!! think of a non-expanding 500grain bullet with a diameter of .62" traveling at 1500fps! I use the XterminatorII's rated at 1400fps but I also have a 22" barrel so pick up another 100fps over the factorys 1400 they get from the 18.5" barrel.
If that's not enough power for you, step up to the 12ga loads they offer, if you don't LOVE recoil, do NOT try the 12ga Dixie's in the lightweight NEF TrackerII's,(the 20ga are no problem) I personally don't mind recoil and figure having to readjust my glasses after the shot a small price to pay for insane stopping power like that! It's not like you're going to need another shot anyhow! James and the staff at DIXIESLUGS are the greatest of folks to say the least and if you want to know ANYTHING about wild hogs, James is the fellow to ask!
If you have a 3" smoothbore slug gun with CYLINDER BORE check out the new 12 ga 600grain TUSKER!!!
It simply ROCKS!! and makes that "B" brand look like a nerf bullet in penetration comparison!!!
If I could only have 1 shot at a really PO'd grizzly you can bet I want a Dixie slug in the pipe!!!

·
Registered
337 Posts
I have heard great things about dixie slugs and I would love to try them. My only issue is that they make you buy 5 boxes if you are mail ordering them. One thing I have found is that not every slug shoots well out of every shotgun regardless of whether it is the exact same make and model of shotgun. What do you do if you spend $60 on a bunch of slugs and your groupings suck with them? I sometimes drive thru the town where they are made. Next time I do, I am going to stop off and buy a box of slugs and if they work out then I will order their required 5 boxes.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Dixie slugs "Raw Power". If you can handle the recoil there is nothing better for game that wants to hurt you. Nothing against the brenneke Black Magic magnum but the recoil and power of the Dixie feels like double that of a Black magic. I shoot the 3"Dixie tusker and like I said nothing but Raw power. :)

·
Registered
10,335 Posts
When I think of all the wild Florida hogs I killed as a boy with a 22lr or 22mag I just laugh at you guys. James has made a successful business out of providing folks with what the want not what they need.
I remember my first sako 222. Now boy-howdy that was a hog gun. One of my friends never used anything but a butcherknife. As the dogs held the hog he snuck in and would stick it. You should see how fast they go down with those arteries cut off the heart. Blood flows like you turn on a spicket.
Just be patient and wait for them to turn quartering away and shoot them right at the base of the ear. Down they go.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Where are they made ?

JimFromTN said:
I have heard great things about dixie slugs and I would love to try them. My only issue is that they make you buy 5 boxes if you are mail ordering them. One thing I have found is that not every slug shoots well out of every shotgun regardless of whether it is the exact same make and model of shotgun. What do you do if you spend $60 on a bunch of slugs and your groupings suck with them? I sometimes drive thru the town where they are made. Next time I do, I am going to stop off and buy a box of slugs and if they work out then I will order their required 5 boxes.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts