Graybeard Outdoors banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I posted this question on a BP board and they told me to pull my bullets. I will ask it here as I think you all have the real dope. I am working up some modest .45LC loads. I was going to use, Goex, Tripple Seven, 2400 and Unique. Might even try some PB. I have hard cast .0453 240gr. RNFP made by True Line. They appear to have a hard blue lube (blue angel?)
I have loaded the 777 and will load Goex next. It occured to me that BP uses a much softer lube. These will be shot in a Trapper. I don't have my six shooters yet. Any advice would be apreciated. JB

·
Registered
5,983 Posts
Do I need a different lube for BP and smoke

JB,

They will shoot! But yer gonna have serious fouling problems with that hard lube & BP! The best suggestion I can give you is to dip the bullets that you already have loaded in melted BP lube and single load them in yer lever gun and practice with them.

BTW, the obverse side of this is that most Black Powder lubes WILL work fine with smokeless powders at CAS speeds. I've used 50/50 lube for smokeless Cowboy loads many times and have also used commercial BP lubes without problems.

But it just don't werk the other way around! :(

·
Registered
130 Posts

Hey HO Mauser!

Use the wonderlube 1000 to dip the bullets in. In the future, remove the UPS (United Parcel Service) lube from the commercial bullets by baking them on a paper towel at low heat (keep an eye on them!) and relube with BP lube. Some of our good Pards and Pardettes swear by beeswax/allox lubes for BP, but I have had poor results with that. I'm kinda partial to that PRS lube posted over on the loading cartriges with BP area. Also change to softer alloy and flat based bullets for BP. Use of hard alloy and bevel based bullets is just asking for trouble with BP unless you are into using wads or cards.

Regards;

prs

·
Registered
132 Posts

Another option is Thompson's PS bp lube. I use it for both bp and smokeless it works great and not to hard on the wallet.

Hope this helps
Pete

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.