Graybeard Outdoors banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
739 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am wondering how different folks do it : carry a handgun only ?; carry a handgun with a rifle for targets of opportunity ? carry and encore and a six shooter for kinda - pistol - only hunts ?
to start it off, I some days hunt with only a pistol when the shots will likely be closer; when the shots will be varied up to 300 yards, have brought the pistol along with the rifle for if it present right for the pistol..
considering either more pistol only hunts, or six shooter and encore combination... but am not sure about it...
WHAT DO YOU GUYS DO ... WHAT DO YOU THINK OF THE CHOICES.... DID YOU START WITH ONE METHOD AND PROGRESS TO ANOTHER ?

I am not sure what I am going to do this year.. the idea of handgun only is appealing... but......

dk

·
Registered
3,587 Posts
I've never quite understood the notion of a handgun as "back-up" to a rifle since there is nothing the handgun can do that the rifle can't do better. I might carry a .22 handgun for grouse or bunnies while hunting with a centerfire rifle or even a shotgun but if I'm carrying my 6" .357 that is likely the only gun I'm packing. I sometimes use the .357 for marmots up above timberline because it is easier to carry than a rifle and stalking within 50 yards of a marmot puts some sport into the hunt. But since I got an AMT automag ll in .22WMR the .357 doesn't get out much any more.

·
Registered
739 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thks for response'; not really backup... but able to be used if the range is not too great ... the opportunity is presented right.... or do you just use the pistol only instead of the rifle... the pistol cannot do what the rifle cannot... but it can be used when the rifle is not necessary.. more like..
thanks again .. any other opinions ???
dk

·
Registered
134 Posts
I'm too old and lazy to do any serious Hunting, but I do kill more than my share of critters. I like to carry 2 handguns sometimes, a revolver or Contender with a scope, and revolver with open sights. I use a sling for the Contenders, holster for revolvers. I like shooting sticks, and own several different kinds of them. Squirrel hunting I like to carry a scoped rimfire semi auto or revolver and a centerfire revolver with 6" barrel or less with open sights. Days I just carry one it is usually something with a scope and centerfire. Reason I like having a centerfire revolver with a rimfire when squirrel hunting is coyotes. I have killed several because I had the big bore revolver that I don't think I would have killed with a rimfire. My favorite revolvers to carry are 44's and up with 2 or 4 power scopes. After you learn to use a set of shooting sticks and a scope, you can reach out a ways with a good revolver. Up close and moving open sights have it hands down. It is as easy for me to have two handguns as a rifle and hand gun, and don't feel like I'm giving up anything not having a rifle. With handguns in holsters, or a Contender on a sling I have both hands free. Shooting sticks can also be used like a walking staff, not a bad thing as you get older. Handguns put the fun and sport back into it. To me anything shot with a handgun is more fun than a rifle.

·
Premium Member
10,748 Posts
I usually carry one or the other, I make a choice and stick with my choice. Some States only let you carry one kind of implement for hunting. Some States let you carry more than one hunting implement. Now if I am going hunting and have an opportunity to encounter something close up, I like to carry a handgun as well as a rifle.

·
Registered
757 Posts
I like to carry a pistol, whether with a rifle or shot gun, as its close by, like on you. So I currently carry a cut down -4.75" SBH, using 240 g swc in a 44 sp case.
Jim

·
Premium Member
2,406 Posts
coyotejoe said:
I've never quite understood the notion of a handgun as "back-up" to a rifle since there is nothing the handgun can do that the rifle can't do better. I might carry a .22 handgun for grouse or bunnies while hunting with a centerfire rifle or even a shotgun but if I'm carrying my 6" .357 that is likely the only gun I'm packing. I sometimes use the .357 for marmots up above timberline because it is easier to carry than a rifle and stalking within 50 yards of a marmot puts some sport into the hunt. But since I got an AMT automag ll in .22WMR the .357 doesn't get out much any more.

I always. ALWAYS carry a handgun as backup to my rifle. I hunt in too much brush with too many bears not too. You try and put an animal through scope when it's coming at you. Also, if I need to put an animal down, why take the time and waste the rifle ammo? Also, more bullets out of it faster. There are many pluses to having the handgun. Bigger meplat.. Giant silver thing to show off... More clickey sounds... I could go all day. ;D

Now back to the first question. If you are going to handgun hunt, then handgun hunt, don't bring the rifle. If you still think you need to kill everything out there, then take the rifle. But if you want to get into the sport of handgun hunting, then leave the other weapons at home.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Here in Iowa I use a muzzleloader when I hunt with my group in the shotgun season. I carry my revolver as a back-up to my muzzleloader. There are times when a second shot is necessary to finish off a deer and it is easier to use a handgun than load the muzzleloader again.

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
I always do especially when when I hunt with my Contender or Encore pistol. Sometimes it is a 45 ACP revolver and sometimes it's a 5.5" SBH in 44 mag. It is the "just in case" when I'm out whether my main weapon becomes unusable or it is a situation where you might need it for self defense. I do a lot of hunting in south Texas and sometimes you come across illegals moments after they cross the border. Sometimes they are so startled they actually go back across. :eek:

·
Premium Member
2,406 Posts
jlbeebe said:
Here in Iowa I use a muzzleloader when I hunt with my group in the shotgun season. I carry my revolver as a back-up to my muzzleloader. There are times when a second shot is necessary to finish off a deer and it is easier to use a handgun than load the muzzleloader again.
You gotta watch that revolver in muzzleloader seasons (it may be different there). When I lived in Arizona, a friend of mine almost got in trouble hunting elk. He had taken an elk with his muzzleloader, and the fins and feathers guy comes to check him and permit. Fins and feathers says he wasn't allowed to have a revolver, he say, oh but, its black powder. Doesn't matter, its still illegal and considered a semi auto because it rotates to bring another round ready under the firing pin without loading.

But it's like anywhere... you gotta know the rules where you hunt.

·
Registered
102 Posts
In Iowa you can use a centerfire handgun in any of the shotgun seasons and also in the late muzzleloader season. You can also use a blackpowder handgun in our early muzzleloader season but I don't hunt at that time. We are able to use a muzzleloader in any of our gun seasons.
corbanzo said:
jlbeebe said:
You gotta watch that revolver in muzzleloader seasons (it may be different there). When I lived in Arizona, a friend of mine almost got in trouble hunting elk. He had taken an elk with his muzzleloader, and the fins and feathers guy comes to check him and permit. Fins and feathers says he wasn't allowed to have a revolver, he say, oh but, its black powder. Doesn't matter, its still illegal and considered a semi auto because it rotates to bring another round ready under the firing pin without loading.

·
22,728 Posts
pretty rare that i carry a rifle. I may on rare occasion use one out of a stand but when im walking the rifles stay home.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Never owned a handgun growing up in MI, mainly used the 12 ga or 20 ga and sometimes a 22 rifle. Since moving out west I've learned there are big dangerous critters out here unlike MI, where the only thing to worry about was a coyote. The Dan Wesson 445 always accompanies me when I step foot out in the woods here in Oregon, rifle hunting or not. Better to have it and not need it, than need it and not have it! But when I go back to Michigan for deer hunting, I carry either the pistol or the shotgun, never together.

·
Registered
2,560 Posts
I occasionally carry a rifle, as this year I have a NEF 30-30 that I picked up for when the Grand kids come to hunt. I will carry that a couple of days just because it is new to me. 95% of my hunting is with a handgun, my favorite being the FA Stalker that Mag-na-port built for me. But I always, ALWAYS have a belt gun on also. Either a revolver (usually) but sometimes a 1911. I will take a deer with open sights if given the opportunity, but I am much more concerned with the two legged predators I might run across. 44 Man

·
Registered
16 Posts
I never carry a rifle anymore. I always carry my .357 Vaquero. You can't scope it but i can hit two inch groups out to 15 yards. Thats plenty for me. All i do is pig hunt anyway here in Hawaii its pretty much all jungle. No need for a rifle.

·
Premium Member
2,406 Posts
You can use a centerfire handgun in your muzzleloader season? Heck, I think my .454 might have to visit Iowa!

jlbeebe said:
In Iowa you can use a centerfire handgun in any of the shotgun seasons and also in the late muzzleloader season. You can also use a blackpowder handgun in our early muzzleloader season but I don't hunt at that time. We are able to use a muzzleloader in any of our gun seasons.
corbanzo said:
jlbeebe said:

·
Registered
102 Posts
I'll be using mine at that time!!!
corbanzo said:
You can use a centerfire handgun in your muzzleloader season? Heck, I think my .454 might have to visit Iowa!

jlbeebe said:
corbanzo said:
jlbeebe said:

·
Registered
751 Posts
I carry my Ruger old army as a back up during BP season here in Ky(it's legal) and you get six shots at cotton tails and other small game during no deer days. I've also taken a shotgun during deer/turkey season, due to having toms approach my stand on at least 2 occasions while waiting for a buck. The worst was a large tom that actually crowed about 20 yds from me and hung around for 1/2 hour. I have a 357 max revolver as my primary deer gun.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I've been carrying a 5.5" Single Six along with a 20ga when hunting rabbits. I take along a 41 Mag with my 30-30 for deer. Not so much as a backup, but for just another use.

I hunt orchards and Christmas tree farms -- very tight areas to say the least. Depending where I setup or the area I'm working decides the tool that's employed.

This year I'll be leaning more towards packing the handgun only. Handgun hunting has interested me for some time, but it's only now after much-much (and then some more) practice that I feel prepared for the challenge.

So now it'll be the Single Six for rabbit/squirrel and the FA 97 41 Mag for deer. Both with very short self imposed limits. But then again...the trees are my limits to begin with. :)

1 - 20 of 44 Posts