Graybeard Outdoors banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone name their guns? Do you need a special reason? What gender?

I noticed that "Ncsurveyor" named the old fowler he is restoring as "Granny Clampett"

Reminded me; I call my old Husqvarna underlever shotgun "Husqabella" and the TULA Baikal was "Traktor Girl"

·
Registered
878 Posts
Just for the record, Granny's name was actually Daisy Moses, but I just couldn't call her Daisy. (That's TV history for some of the younger crowd)

I have names for a few of my guns:

Beechnut
TOE
Kamaya maya
Mr. Roberts
Betty

I have a few pump shotguns, a lever 22 mag, and a convetional in-line ML that never got named. One thing I have noticed, never sold one that I named. I had muzzleloader named "Dolly" that was stolen. 58 cal.

Anything I'm likely to spend a lot of time on is probably getting a female name. Something psychological going on there.

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
Yep, both of my flinters, my .40 caliber Bob Watt's is "Sweetheart", because she has the weeping heart inlaid as a thumbpiece...
My .54 caliber Carolina flintlock is "Daisy"...Because early Carolina gunsmiths in the Piedmont sometimes used the Lancaster Daisy parchbox that was in style at the time in the Lancaster, PA area...

·
Registered
44,135 Posts
Just one so far; an Anschutz "woodchucker" with stock extended to fit adult and camoed stock.
Use it as a "truck gun" and call it "Little Annie"..

323 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
NCSurveyor; Of course you couldn't call 'er "Daisy" because Flinter was already using that name.

Coincidence? I was raised a Presbyterian That was "first" Now I am Greek Orthodox through my Cypriot warbride (Or is it Peace-bride, as I was a UN in Cyprus when I met this raven haired american student.)

·
Registered
878 Posts
It took reading a few of your previous posts, but I got enough clues to figure it out.

Missed you at Claude's Sunday. I was looking forward to some venison chili. ;)

Now, with due respect to Sir Chuck, back to your regularly scheduled thread.....

Charles, I've seen this question on numerous other sites. I think some guys are embarrassed to admit it.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Yeah, here's "Shorty"...

It's an older FIE Kentucky-style rifle with the barrel chopped to about 19" in .45.

It's a good shooter and I'll be taking it to W. Texas to try him out on mule deer in December.

And the name engraved onto the sideplate...

·
Registered
199 Posts
Absolutely, My Marlin 336( 30-30) is Double 30, my NO4MK2 .303 is No.4, my Omega is .5( Point 5) my T/C Hawken with GM barrel is Roundball , my Chinese Type 56 is Whoot and my mew Marlin 1894 .357 Mag is Sweet. I put the "mental" in sentimental :D

·
Registered
94 Posts
yup, they call the .54 "echo".
the patched round ball combo I use, creates a super-sonic speed. It's really not my fault, I simply spent the time finding the perfect combination for this gun. Proper ball size, patch thickness, the lube for the "cut at muzzle" with powder type and volume of charge.
many times the line judge will see the target being hit before they hear the sound of the powder charge. They get confused, they think they have heard an,,, / "The Echo".

·
Registered
636 Posts
I have one I had a hard time getting to group. Most of the time on the range I called it "You #**#&&@**". Don't know if that's a name though.

·
Registered
878 Posts
Semisane said:
I have one I had a hard time getting to group. Most of the time on the range I called it "You #**#&&@**". Don't know if that's a name though.
That counts.

My buddy has a 30-06. Its the camps back-up gun in case your primary weapon takes a digger. Its named Widow Maker. Kills on one end, maims on the other.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Only one of my guns has a name. My No4 Mk1 is named Bertha because she is big heavy and has a big voice. None of my others have shown me that they are name worthy yet.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts