Graybeard Outdoors banner

Does Double D have a legacy?

4K views 21 replies 5 participants last post by  double d 
#1 · (Edited)
The Junk yard dog was made in 1996 as part of a trade for some custom barrel work . . It consists of a 12 inch long by 6-1/4 inch diameter piece of 4140 annealed, that was originally built as a slip-fit popcan mortar. It was far to tight and was later bored out by Wes Pilley "Powder Keg to 6 Pounder, 3.672". Bore is 8 inches deep and flat bottom. Chamber is 1-3/4 diameter by 1-1/2 deep, flat bottom. The barrel is still cylinder and not radiused at the breech. It has a 1/8" vent. I have been thinking bout putting it up on the drill press and drilling out the vent .200 to accept friction primers,

In order to fire this at the First Cut Bank Cannon Convention, Ernie Taft, "Southpaw" helped me fabricate a band to attach the trunnion to barrel so we could shoot it. I made a quick and dirty carriage from some old scrap beams.

My plan was to turn a radius on the breech end and weld the trunnion on to make a Confederate style block carriage similar to their 24 Pounder Coehorn. I have the wood for this block carriage. The Confederates also used a ladder carriage and this would make a good carriage also.

This mortar is one of those unfinish projects cluttering up my garage. Because of its bulk I probably will never finish this gun.

So where am I going with this. We'll lets say you have a brother in law who is headed to Branson on vacation, or your BFF is going to Grand Canyon with the family and are passing through OKC, have them swing by my place and i will help them load it their trunk so they can bring it to you. I'll even toss in all the 6 PDR zinc round balls I can find in the shop.

Anyone interested?

See less See more
#4 ·
Here is the pattern I was working towards. I have the wood for this. Thought I had the handles but I have not seen them since the move from Montana,

This is the other pattern I was thinking on. I may have some oak for it, maybe

Charlie Smithgall has one of these in his Civil war era Cannon museum.

#6 · (Edited)
I have to put on a shoot at the pond here the 4th. I am hoping I get the bowling bowling ball mortar cleaned and painted by then. I also have to go take inventory of my storage locker.

I gave you the oak? Okay then you already have the wood I was going to give you for the ladder carriage. But wait, what's that other wood in the locker?

#11 ·
If you are itching to fire, I would be, Here is your lesson.

If using fuse be sure to cut it long enough to reach the powder. It doesn't need to be very long on the out side because it has a long way to burn to reach the powder. Green cannon fuse burns 30 second a foot. Don't make it long as that increases you burn time. Calculate burn time of your fuse.

Weigh out 6 ounces of either Cannon of Fg black powder. Pour the powder in the bottom of the chamber. Insert fuse.

Look down range for anything moving the direction of you impact zone about 400-500 yards down range..-water skier, bass boat, jet ski. Add the burn time of you fuse to 24 seconds. Will those moving objects reach the area of your impact zone in that time, if not- FIRE! 24 seconds is the rough time of flight. Listen for the whistle, watch for the impact. Knowing your impact zone it should be dramatic. Take video's! Have fun.

Remember, it is Fire! Fire in the hole is for blowing up explosive.

I can only think of one thing "Funner" Two Bowling ball mortars going off at once.

#14 ·
Trey, you may not end up with this tube.

I have no cannon projects right now. This board is dying. We need clicks. We need some chatter.

I am thinking about putting this barrel in the lathe and finishing it out.

When I was in Afghanistan I bought a larger 3-jaw chuck for my lathe, intending it for this job. I am still unpacking boxes from the move down from Montana 4 years ago and the other day I found out why one box was so darn heavy. There in the bottom of that box is the the 3 Jaw.

So This winter when it cools off, I think I will chuck this tube up and turn a radius on the end. Then I will get the trunnion welded on.

So which carriage to build? For some reason, I like the Tredegar ladder as seen in the 24 PDR in the Smithgall Foundation collection. I have the wood.

Wheel Motor vehicle Font Automotive tire Auto part

Do any of you guys have other pictures from different angles of this carraige?

I think I can get proportional dimensions from pictures. For example I have the dimensioned drawings of this tube. I can see the end of the trunnion in the picture and the plans will give the diameter. I can use that number to get the length and height of the sides and location of the crosspiece's, well as the location of the trunnion hole.

Yes the photo is angled and there will be some distortion, but it will be close.

The drawing gives me the total length of the trunnion and that will give me the total width of the bed. I can also get the length of the trunnion from each side of the barrel and that will give me the thickness of the wood.

We'll see what happens...

#16 · (Edited)
This may be coming to fruition.

I have trip down to Galveston in the first week of April. (sidenote: What idiot shares a room on a cruise ship with two teen girls and their Grandmother? )

On the trip back, I had planned to stop at Trey's and drop this mortar off.

Because that is Easter weekend we instead will be stopping at a church in Dallas where our former Preacher preaches,

So now in May sometime some how we are planning on making this happen with trip to Trey's artillery range

#21 ·
The ladder carriage is what I used with Dom's gallon paint can mortar. Heavy as the tube is already, I wanted to hold down the weight of the carriage. Works very well and is one man movable with a hand truck. Best of luck with your cruise!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.