Graybeard Outdoors banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have experience with any Dog-Proof traps such as The Egg Trap, Duffers or Coon Cuffs? Do they work as advertised? If they do I can sure think of a few spots to use them. Thanks....Doc

·
Premium Member
3,084 Posts
Doc,I have used the Coon Cuffs since they first came out.They are a good solid trap and work very well. Tom

·
Registered
421 Posts
dog-proof traps

I have all three models, and prefer the coon cuffs because of trigger and overall trap design. The triggers must be "pushed" on the coon cuffs model which nails a coon as it reaches into the opening. On the DP model, the trigger must be pulled and I have a lot of misses with this model unless they either grab or hook that trigger with a toenail and pull back against it. It is tougher to bed this trap solidly to allow the pulling action back against the trigger without pulling the entire unit out of the ground also. It also has a rather small opening. I have caught a significant number of possums in both models, so if necessary it would make a great dog-proof possum trap in removal or damage-type situations also (like a garage or a barn, for instance.
The coon cuffs model works great in the end of a 2' section of white 4-1/2" PVC pipe, too. Cut a 5" long by 1" wide notch down one end of the pipe to allow for the chain rivet to slide in. Anchor the chain, shove the pipe out into the stream and directed back toward the bank at a low angle, and smear some loud coon lure or bait inside that pipe...then slip the trap in the end of the pipe. Works great where the stream is shallow and a good trail is running right next to the water. Can run them out on a drowner, too.
I prefer the coon cuffs model, but I have pictures of coons & possums in all three of these styles. Write me if you want more tips or copies of pictures.
Jim-NE

1 - 3 of 3 Posts