Graybeard Outdoors banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts

·
Registered
7,579 Posts
If they don't have it, or at the right price (shipping too), you might want to ask some of the local machine shops. There are two that I deal with that let me have it for their cost! Sometimes if you order special types you might have to get a full piece (from 11 to 20 some feet long), but if it's ordered with their order you don't incur any shipping costs.

As CavT. said, 4130 is what you'll typically find in DOM.

Whatchya building?

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'll be building two things - a muzzleloading bazooka, and (eventually), a DD version. No explosive warheads, though.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, a muzzleloading tube that's plugged on one end that fires a light zinc projectile.

The real one will just be a DD rocket launcher.

·
Registered
430 Posts
DD,
The Congrave(?) rocket of the civil war might meet that class. They were fired from tube's or trough's mounted on wire legs or carriages. They were pretty muched scrapped for directional problems.

·
7,042 Posts
One of the serious shortcomings of the Congreve rockets was deterioration of the propellant during storage and transportation. They were loaded upon manufacture so the powder had to endure all the slings and arrows of storage and deployment which fractured the charges and caused erratic results.

·
Registered
7,579 Posts
GGaskill said:
One of the serious shortcomings of the Congreve rockets was deterioration of the propellant during storage and transportation. They were loaded upon manufacture so the powder had to endure all the slings and arrows of storage and deployment which fractured the charges and caused erratic results.

Amazing to me how we try lots of different things to accomplish the mission. War tends to bring out lots of 'practical applications' of known science.

Any links to this interesting snippit of history? Dates/people?

·
7,042 Posts
From <i>History of Rocketry, Chapter 2, 18th and 19th Centuries</i>, The U.S. Civil War Sees Limited Use Of Rockets (about 3/4 of the way down) at Spaceline.org:

"However, both sides in the Civil War remembered how well rockets served armed forces during the Mexican War two decades earlier. But, it was quickly discovered that Hale, and even Congreve, rockets that had been stored for long periods of time were rendered useless because their gunpowder charges failed to remain properly bonded to their casings."

·
Registered
430 Posts
My Great ,great something or another join Battery A 1st N.Y. rocket Batt. in July of 1863. He had served his enlistment in the 28th NY Inf. and re-enlisted in the battery. The were coverted to field artillery(6 pdr's)and sent south. (crossed from Canada to fight)
There is lot's of info on use of rockets. Gibbons manual( in the links now I think) has some info on their use and construction. The Brit's used rockets a bit in the war of 1812. there were Hale's(New Orleans)
GG is right as usual. The Congreve used the pressure from the burning composition to cause spin to stabilize as well as forward movement. If they didn't burn the same, they had a mind of their own and went everywhere. Some testing was done in D.C. launching them down the Potomac river. They had some new improved version in the early fall of 1863.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
For a 2.5" bore out of 4130 DOM, do you think that .250 walls would be safe? Keep in mind I'd be firing hardly two ounces, as this will be either cast zinc or machined aluminum.

If I need to, I'll simply machine a sleeve out of some thicker tube to reinforce as well.

·
Registered
7,579 Posts
Third_Rail said:
For a 2.5" bore out of 4130 DOM, do you think that .250 walls would be safe? Keep in mind I'd be firing hardly two ounces, as this will be either cast zinc or machined aluminum.

If I need to, I'll simply machine a sleeve out of some thicker tube to reinforce as well.
2 oz is a LOT of powder. A friend has 4130 tube from which he fires full and half beer cans (filled with concrete) with 200 to 400 grains and they go some 400 meters. About 1/4" wall thickness.

If you're going for the big bang do heavy-duty walls and a powder chamber. The longer the tube the greater the powder burning efficiency (range and velocity) and the less the noise (and smoke) you'll produce.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
:lol:

You misunderstand, the projectile itself will be 2oz or thereabouts! mostly much reduced diameter with two driving bands, as it were. I'm thinking less than 100 grain charges.

·
Registered
7,579 Posts
Third_Rail said:
:lol:

You misunderstand, the projectile itself will be 2oz or thereabouts! mostly much reduced diameter with two driving bands, as it were. I'm thinking less than 100 grain charges.
I must still have been thinking about depleted uranium!
You're well within the bounds of safe charges.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I thought so. Thanks!

Looks like this is the 5th project to add to the list, along with mini-cannons, mini-mortars, and a wallgun.

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
Third Rail, If you are looking for 4130 I have a source for some specific sizes. 3" x .250 wall which is 2.5" ID. about $15 per ft (last time I checked.) I used this particular tubing when fabricating rear housings for drag cars. It some pretty nice stuff; very strong. They also carry 2.25 X .250 - 1.75" ID Golf Ball Size. From my understanding all 4130 chrome moly tubing is seamless. The "DOM" simply means "Drawn Over Mandrel" where an internal die is also used along with an external die in the draw bench sizing process. This process gives the ID a smooth and precisely sized bore and eliminates the weld seam in a welded tube.
DOM tubing can come in either a welded or a seamless tube. I'm not sure if ALL 4130 is DOM, but I do know that 4130 condition "N" (normalized heat treat) is seamless which is an important consideration. The bores on the above two sizes appear to be DOM because of die oil coloring on the ID wall. For more information and to obtain this material call Dillsburg Aeroplane Works 717-432-4589 .

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Before I call, where are they located? If they're in PA, I'm heading toward there before winter and could thus avoid shipping costs.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts