Graybeard Outdoors banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New York State Rural Area
KNOX -- A 49-year-old man faces felony charges after he shot a rifle in the air to scare off three insurance salespeople who were slow to leave his home Friday night, police said.
"He got agitated," said Sheriff James Campbell. "They apparently were reluctant to leave. He went in and got his rifle from a case and shot off a round."
The shot, fired about 7 p.m., was not directed at the salespeople, according to the sheriff. "He didn't aim it at them," Campbell said. "It was just to scare them -- which I'm sure it did.

"Here is the good part,"

Gavin was charged with three counts of first-degree reckless endangerment, a felony, and three counts of second-degree menacing, a misdemeanor. He was arraigned Friday night in the New Scotland Town Court and sent to Albany County jail.

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
I'll bet that those salespeople reconsidered their tactics, if not their choice of occupation, afterwards! :wink:

·
Registered
729 Posts
The felonies won't likely fly, the misdemeanors will get lumped into one charge he'll serve time doing comminity service.....................................
IF he has NO RECORD.
It'll cost him at least 3 grand for a lawyer to defend him, he'll be LUCKY not to loose ALL his guns, maybe forever, the salespeople will sue his gonads off!
Might even be ordered for a psychological evaluation
Gonna be an expensive lesson for the rural idjit.
Can't do that kinda crap no mo'.

·
Registered
42,142 Posts
As soon as they were asked, or told, to leave, they became trespassers. In my opinion he was within his rights. On more than one occasion I've sreongly suggested that people leave my property at the point of my shotgun, not recently though. POWDERMAN. :D :D

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
The three thieves...er, "sales-people" should have been charged with tresspassing and harassment, and put in jail.

The cops and judge who made this call should be soundly horse-whipped and ridden out of town on a pointed rail.

:x

·
Registered
4,992 Posts
I feel sorry for the guy and I do not blame him but you know how it goes these days if you do not call the cops they think you are taking the law into your own hands and the establishment frowns on that. Guess he should have called the cops first. Even brandishing a gun these days can get your butt in a sling. Jim

·
Registered
782 Posts
Wait for the cops?

Does this mean we are now obligated to wait until the cops don't show up before we can defend ourselves?

(The courts already having decided the cops are not obligated to show up.)

·
Premium Member
5,343 Posts
Re: Wait for the cops?

unspellable said:
Does this mean we are now obligated to wait until the cops don't show up before we can defend ourselves?

(The courts already having decided the cops are not obligated to show up.)
Unfortunately both of the above statements would seem to be true judging by the verdicts handed down in many such court cases these days. :cry:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts