Graybeard Outdoors banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3,143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone shapen their own metal cutting drill bits ? are those drill doctors any good ? they look like plastic junk to me .

·
Registered
890 Posts
Our Dr Doctor does a decent job on the sizes it can do and has held up well. I sharpen the larger sizes by hand.

·
Registered
549 Posts
I got a drill dr for Xmas 15 years ago or so. Had been sharpening them by hand on a grinder before that (and still do for some). The drill dr makes it easy to split the bit evenly so it drills the size hole it's supposed to and have both cutting surfaces the same level and angle so they both are cutting.

·
Registered
3,143 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I got a drill dr for Xmas 15 years ago or so. Had been sharpening them by hand on a grinder before that (and still do for some). The drill dr makes it easy to split the bit evenly so it drills the size hole it's supposed to and have both cutting surfaces the same level and angle so they both are cutting.
15 years , sounds like you got your moneys worth out of it .

·
Super Moderator
51,061 Posts
Have had a Drill Doctor for 10-15yrs, still works fine.

Tim

·
Registered
4,964 Posts
I also use a Drill Dr., keep in mind there is a learning curve to using it.

But, I just pitch the smallest sizes and buy new when they dull...

DM

·
Registered
3,143 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It was a surprise to find out Drill doctor is made in the USA . Going to u-tube to watch some demonstrations .

·
Super Moderator
10,924 Posts
I never got the "hang" of sharpening bits. I have tried on the grinder, by hand. Some do. Some don't. I suppose I should watch a video or two to see if there is a method to that madness. I do so little, well, while I am drilling, it is a lot, but very few and far between, so maybe I don't have a "need to know". I am probably even using metal bits on wood and wood bits on metal (or trying to). I know when they get hot they get dull fast and prior to heat they need lubrication...so even this old dog is somewhat "trainable". I have a drill press, a heavy duty drill press that I picked up in a yard sale real cheap, that had no positional vise for the first ten years. I didn't use it much. I found a cheap bi-directional vise that works OK for the little that I do with it.

·
Registered
3,143 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I never got the "hang" of sharpening bits. I have tried on the grinder, by hand. Some do. Some don't. I suppose I should watch a video or two to see if there is a method to that madness. I do so little, well, while I am drilling, it is a lot, but very few and far between, so maybe I don't have a "need to know". I am probably even using metal bits on wood and wood bits on metal (or trying to). I know when they get hot they get dull fast and prior to heat they need lubrication...so even this old dog is somewhat "trainable". I have a drill press, a heavy duty drill press that I picked up in a yard sale real cheap, that had no positional vise for the first ten years. I didn't use it much. I found a cheap bi-directional vise that works OK for the little that I do with it.[/QUOTE ] Same here , I screw up 2 bits to get one to cut .

·
Registered
160 Posts
I've had a Drill Doctor for many years. Like several others here, I tried to get the hang of sharpening a drill on a grinding wheel. Didn't work for me. Drill Doctor works great! Have saved many a drill bit and made drilling a hole a pleasure rather than a drudge.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I've had a Drill Dr. for a long time too. Like some others said, it takes a little practice and following the instructions exactly to get a good tip on your bits. It has done a great job on most bits I have attempted to sharpen and probably only did so-so on some cheap bits I abused.

Get one and you won't be sorry.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
One of my first jobs when I was a young man was in a machine shop and the first thing I learned was to sharpen drill bits by hand with a bench grinder, did it all my eye too . Its not that hard once you get the hang of it.

·
Registered
1,920 Posts
i had a drill dr

but my son appropriated it......:tango_face_sad:

·
Super Moderator
10,924 Posts

·
Registered
3,143 Posts
Discussion Starter #16